Is it true?

Fire breathing dragons a problem for you?
Muzozavr
Your Backpack is Empty

Is it true?

Postby Muzozavr » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:46 am

I heard that in some version (of course not the remake) you can fall in the water right next to the snap happy gator and sometimes you won't drown but instead will fall through and land in the market square. Then, if you've previously accessed it, you can get out the usual way, but the whole game will be upside-down, but if the well isn't opened, you will be stuck.
Is it true? If yes, then for which version(s)?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:12 pm

I've completed the Spectrum and Commodore version of this game and have never came across that.

I've got a strange feeling It's on the Amstrad though, I never completed that version though seeing I was too young then and the Hospital had an Amstrad along with FWD :p

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby delta » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:46 pm

yeah i've heard of that too.

don't know which platform it's on tho

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Actually thinking about it, I remember finding a bug on the Commodore version where you go to the upside-down part and all is not quite right, lol

Muzozavr
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Muzozavr » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:17 am

Nooo, I mean literally falling like described somewhere in this uhs:
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/dizzy3.php

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby delta » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:53 pm

yeah you mean this 'note about this [The Snap Happy 'Gator] room':

A bug in the game sometimes makes this room go wrong. If you fall into the water you should drown, but sometimes if you fall into it right next to the gator, you fall into the room below and keep falling until you end up in the Market Place. If you have already accessed this area you can get back to the main part of the game the same way you normally do, but the game will be upside-down! If you haven't managed to access this area, there is no way you can open the access point from this side, and you will be stuck in these three rooms. Either way, you should probably start again.

Joe
Free Range Egg

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:30 am

I'd be interested to see if someone can do this, I've tried several times but there are only so many positions you can jump from, and none seem to result in this happening. I had a theory that the below-water part of the croc was not considered to be either solid or water by the program, so somehow getting past the head of the croc would allow you to use it like a little tunnel down to the next screen. Can you drop an item when standing on the croc's closed mouth? Because that could affect collisions.

Numenor
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Numenor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:20 pm

I had it happen once. I was playing the Spectrum version, and all of a sudden I was in the Marketplace - the right way up!! Strangely though, I got back to the 'normal' world (upside down) despite the fact I hadn't got past the dragon yet.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 am

Adz.M wrote:Actually thinking about it, I remember finding a bug on the Commodore version where you go to the upside-down part and all is not quite right, lol

Oh my gosh, I just played through Fantasy World Dizzy on VICE today, and that first image is exactly what it looks like when I go down the well. All three screens are right-side-up, with only Dizzy's standing and walking sprites upside-down, and I have to press right to make him go left and left to make him go right. Also, Dizzy often moves randomly on his own for a moment once in a while there, like a milder form of drinking the whiskey. So I still need to do some investigation to figure out what part of that could be a deficiency in the emulator, or a flaw in the copy of the game I'm using, or something intended to be in the game like the idea of Dizzy having vertigo.

I couldn't guess what's going on in that second image though...

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Aha... I replayed the game on CCS64, only with an infinite lives trainer to make it easier, and not only was the upside-down area still wrong, but the entrance of the cloud castle looked the way it does in your second image. So I guess in the process of cracking or copying the game some areas got modified to load the wrong tiles or something?

Another odd thing I discovered about the Commodore 64 version was that if I rescue Daisy while in sound-effects mode, after the hearts screen the in-game music will start again, but sound effects still play! So I can hear Dizzy's footsteps while listening to the music until I collect a coin or die, but since I think the game wasn't really designed for it, the footsteps sound a little strange, and the music gets softer and gets clipped whenever that sound is played.