Magicland-Wonderland?

Devil on your sholder? or just got your head in the clouds?
Augustyn
Your Backpack is Empty

Magicland-Wonderland?

Post by Augustyn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi all,
I wanted to ask you about this:
http://yolkfolk.com/site/games.php?game_id=25
I mean,Was Wonderland really going to be like magicland?
I'm asking because Dizzy9 was giving me some personal info about that. :v2_dizzy_cheers: Maybe it's Wonderland?
User named "Dizzy" has a map for Wonderland,if he can't post map then maybe he can tell us if this info is acurrate? :v2_dizzy_blush:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi, everything that's mentioned about Wonderland on the site is true.

Peter, and a few other Community members have actually met the Oliver Twins in person, for taking part in the 2008 DizzyAGE Competition.

And the twins have told them about Wonderland being an altered version of Magicland, like when Prince of the Yolkfolk became Dizzy the Adventurer, one of the peeps that have met the twins can probably explain it better than I can.

Dizzy (Admin) has been given some rare items from Phillip Oliver such as the map of Wonderland, but he's not ready to make it public yet because of various stuff with his personal life he has to sort out, as far as I know, he is hoping to get things sorted out around the summer.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 pm

I still don't understand what the point of it really was.. a way to just cash in on Magicland? no more ideas..? or what... it's just an odd thing to make an alternative version. in particular with POTYF which wasn't a big game anyway, but then i never played the Adventure version.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Well this is funny, I was doing some searches on Google to find out more about the AGA versions of Fantastic Dizzy, and instead I came across a blog post with the map of Wonderland Dizzy!

http://www.preoccupations.org/2009/11/v ... ation.html

Yep, it looks very much like a modified Magicland, with characters like Mad Hatter and Caterpillar added to affirm the "Wonderland" theme. (White) Rabbit too? Looks like Card Guards may have replaced some of the chess pieces. I know they said the Chesire Cat would be making appearances; could that have been an altered Gobolino?

I expect the Eatme Cake has returned, as that along with the Drinkme Potion were Alice in Wonderland references to begin with, and you're told to give the cake to Denzil (shrunken?) and the drink to Dora (enlarged in place of Daisy--so what's Daisy doing now?).

I remember someone once objected to Dizzy making a deal with the Devil, and I suggested that Dizzy could have met the wizard Theodore at the end instead, since it would set up his importance in Spellbound Dizzy, and what better place to meet a friendly wizard than in MagicLand? Well, seeing Theo's name in the lower-right corner, that appears to have been exactly what happened!

I thought the original MagicLand Dizzy was one of the better games, and I thought the 16-bit versions looked very pretty, so I would have loved to see the NES remake. What a shame about its cancellation...

The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy map is also neat, but it would be more helpful if I could find a key for what all those abbreviations mean.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:46 am

I hope Dizzy isn't discouraged from eventually putting up the maps he received from the Oliver twins because of this. For all we know, what Dizzy has could contain different parts of the maps, or could be from a different stage in development.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 am

He has mentioned on here that he may plan to upload a bigger and clearer version of the map so you can see more detail and read the rest of the writing more clearly, I think lots of people are preparing to make a DizzyAGE remake of it when that day comes.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:51 am

Meph wrote:I still don't understand what the point of it really was.. a way to just cash in on Magicland? no more ideas..? or what... it's just an odd thing to make an alternative version. in particular with POTYF which wasn't a big game anyway, but then i never played the Adventure version.
Well, it probably saves on development time to use an existing game as a template rather than coming up with the whole thing from scratch. Remember they were developing these for the 8-bit consoles that were on their way out, so they had to get the next Dizzy game out fast in order to keep the interest of their target audience. And on that note, the targets of the Nintendo and Sega Dizzy games would have been mostly people who hadn't played the Dizzy games on the older computers, so a remake would still look fresh to them. Have you ever read the manual to the very first release of The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, back when it had only 100 stars? The instruction booklet featured this outrageous 15-page story, written as if Dizzy were a brand new series. If the series had lasted a few more years, the stories of the console Dizzy games might be considered their own alternate continuity now.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Fantastic Dizzy as a bit of a re-boot... I've never really played it.

Wonderland might have been pretty good, I'm sure someone out there will put it all together at some point. :D
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by geekgirl101 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Wonderland Dizzy was to be a port from old 8/16 bit to 32 bit. At the time quite a few games were going through ports from old consoles and handhelds into the more later consoles so it was typical that some of the old and successful Dizzy games would get ported too. Most of the Dizzy games had already been ported to consoles like Atari, Amiga, Sega, and PC versions.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Huh, where did you hear that? I only heard of it being developed for Nintendo Entertainment System (via Aladdin Deck Enhancer) or for Sega Master System (in The Excellent Dizzy Collection). But then we did see a canceled Genesis port of The Excellent Dizzy Collection, so it's possible a Genesis version of Wonderland Dizzy was in the works too!