Is this the worst Dizzy game ever made?

Working 9-5 at the Dizzy warehouse!
Steven
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Steven » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Dizzy wrote:Could have been called anything Factory Panic (swear thats already a game), taken Dizzy out completly and sold a few.

Could still have sold a few, however if Dizzy wasn't on the front cover then my mum would never have bought it for me when I was younger, so releasing it with the Dizzy brand certainly did it's job in that respect.

Personally I always preferred the adventure games to the arcade games anyway but I never complained as it meant I got a free "Dizzy game" from her. :D

Invisibabe
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Invisibabe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Yep, I totally agree it's the worst Dizzy gane. I remember at the time being quite offended that they made a second rate Tetris rip-off and used Dizzy's good name to sell it.

I remember Toobin and always thought Rapids was a blatant rip-off of that also.

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mataeus » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:22 am

[color="Green"]Yeah, but at least DtR was fun! As was Toobin' actually.... Hmmm....[/color]

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyUK » Tue May 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Dizzy down the rapids was much worse than this. on the Amstrad anyway.

AJC24
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby AJC24 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Certainly a weak title featuring Dizzy... I had it on the Commodore 64 and several things annoyed me about it. First of all, it didn't matter how far you got through the levels - the game had no ending (or at least if it had, I never saw one). And the reason I never saw one was this... in later levels (on the C64 version anyway) the items never came out when you needed them. Which meant you couldnt get them to fit into the slots properly. Which meant the 4 tubes from which the toy shapes came from continued to spiral downwards at a rapid pace and subsequently ended your game. In later levels it was nearly impossible to get several toy shapes through the slots at the bottom of the screen simultaneously and therefore raise the tubes a bit and give yourself some breathing space - and they came so think and fast that you didn't have time to wait around for them to drop individually. And because multiple toy shapes dropping through successfully was practically impossible, it also meant that your game was guaranteed to end once you got through a certain number of levels regardless.

A game that's actually impossible to beat? Nope... bad move.

At least, if anyone had a C64 version here and can prove me wrong with that complaint, then I take it all back, lmao. But certainly I could never do it anyway... and that just frustrated the bloody hell out of me so much.

AnthonyJDB
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby AnthonyJDB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:03 am

AJC24 wrote:Certainly a weak title featuring Dizzy... I had it on the Commodore 64 and several things annoyed me about it. First of all, it didn't matter how far you got through the levels - the game had no ending (or at least if it had, I never saw one). And the reason I never saw one was this... in later levels (on the C64 version anyway) the items never came out when you needed them. Which meant you couldnt get them to fit into the slots properly. Which meant the 4 tubes from which the toy shapes came from continued to spiral downwards at a rapid pace and subsequently ended your game. In later levels it was nearly impossible to get several toy shapes through the slots at the bottom of the screen simultaneously and therefore raise the tubes a bit and give yourself some breathing space - and they came so think and fast that you didn't have time to wait around for them to drop individually. And because multiple toy shapes dropping through successfully was practically impossible, it also meant that your game was guaranteed to end once you got through a certain number of levels regardless.

A game that's actually impossible to beat? Nope... bad move.

At least, if anyone had a C64 version here and can prove me wrong with that complaint, then I take it all back, lmao. But certainly I could never do it anyway... and that just frustrated the bloody hell out of me so much.

I had the C64 version, and as far as I know it is unbeatable by any fair means, barring immense luck. Though I seem to recall I also once played it with a cheat enabled and just found that the toys cycled round without any end sequence.

Having said that, I thought the graphics were good and the music excellent. But the gameplay was poorly designed and playtested, no doubt.

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby geekgirl101 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Most of the arcade games are a bit naff, although Bubble Dizzy PC version and Kwik Snax were really good. The others didn't entertain me as much. That cake making game in Purble Palace reminds me a lot of Dizzy Panic. Stick Dizzy in the background with a switch moving the conveyor belt and it's almost the same thing. It would probably work better as a minigame to an adventure game, like Dizzy Down the Rapids and Bubble Dizzy being used in Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 am

Aw yeah, that would be fun if in the middle of Fantastic Dizzy, you had to win a big enough "haul" of shapes to use on something else.

AnthonyJDB wrote:I had the C64 version, and as far as I know it is unbeatable by any fair means, barring immense luck.

I tried that version again a few weeks ago. I discovered that some levels in the middle of the pack are very easy, pairing up the slots to provide plenty of ways to catch threesomes and foursomes all the time, while other levels are so poorly designed that I almost never get any threes. I suspect they failed to realize that the same random drop routine isn't a good match for every level's shape-guard. At least a particular level only requires 50 drops if you come into it from the previous level--which admittedly may still be a problem if the previous level already put you in a losing position by the end. Otherwise you have to do 50 drops times the level number, as if to "make up" for the skipped levels, which is a ridiculous expectation on those levels where you can hardly ever get three at a time to save yourself.

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby EgoTrip » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm

I quite liked this game, I had it on the CPC back in the day. It got quite a lot of play, but I've always been a sucker for puzzlers like this. I don't think its anywhere near the worst Dizzy game, I didn't like Bubble Dizzy much and I absolutely hated Dizzy down the cRapids.

Gary S
Free Range Egg

Is this the worst Dizzy game ever made?

Postby Gary S » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:23 pm

They'd added an irritatingly twee in-game tune in the C64 version, and an eye-warping purple-and-green colour scheme.