Hi All, This Is Stephen

Tell the community about yourself.
Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Hi All, This Is Stephen

Post by Stephen Parry » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi folks

Been a fan of the Dizzy games since the first one was released back in 1986. I love the original the best (that music still plays in my head from time to time), but I have a soft spot for Fantasy World Dizzy, Magicland Dizzy and Treasure Island Dizzy.

I have never been the biggest player of computer or video games, always tended to stick to a select few games that interest me. The Dizzy series is one such game, I give it 10 out of 10 for playability. Plus, now there's the nostalgia aspect and, although every game shouldn't be a mental exercise, playing the game did keep the grey matter going a bit.

In addition to computer games, I also enjoy reading books on my Kindle, watching movies, playing golf, driving to National Trust properties, visiting museums, aviation and history.

I look forward to interacting with you all here. :dizzy_smile:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Welcome to the Community Stephen :)

Hope you'll enjoy the Dizzyness this site keeps. :v2_dizzy_cheers:

Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Post by Stephen Parry » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Thank you, I'm sure I'll enjoy it here. :dizzy_smile:

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi.

What happens when your Kindle breaks? As all electronic objects do. What happens to all those books.. lost forever or do have to pay to downland them again?

I have the same issue with Ipods, thousands of songs, it breaks ad you've lost each and every one of them :( and it costs a fortune to buy them all again.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Steve, welcome to the forums.

Also like to here more about your favourite NT sites.
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Meph wrote:What happens when your Kindle breaks? As all electronic objects do. What happens to all those books.. lost forever or do have to pay to downland them again?
I believe that Amazon 'remembers' which books you've bought and lets you re-download them. Not got one myself, but I was looking into it the other day.

Oh and hi to Stephen!

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:07 am

pity they don't do that with music.

Personally i love real hardback books. The only benefit i can see with an electronic one is traveling and reading news papers/articles.

Lex_Hedley
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lex_Hedley » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 am

Welcome Stephen,

Do you have any favourite National Trust places, I've visited quite a few over the years?

Meph can I suggest investing in some external hard drive(s), they are very cheap these days and just back up all your music/videos/books etc once a week/month then when the inevitable happens you haven't lost them.
Remember the rule of three!

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:29 am

External hard drives like all bits of equipment will not last forever, they soon stop working without any warning and you're lost everything on it. With all had it happen.

So you may as well Cary on buying the physical things (which can work out cheaper) the whole point of downloading is to cut all that out.

Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Post by Stephen Parry » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for your good wishes.

The Kindle was bought for practical reasons, to be honest. I've been buying books for 30+ years and, although I've given some away to charity shops, there is a limit to how much space one has to store books. It's because of space issues I purchased the Kindle.

It has been good and amazon have been very helpful. I believe they will go out of their way to help you with any Kindle issues such as lost books.

I like the smell and touch of books - not to mention the nostalgia - but it is convenient for me, currently.

With regards to National Trust sites, when asked for my favourite anything, I like to always give one rather than a list. It's just the way I am. So, for now, it's Coughton Court - it's a beautiful site, has a lovely walled garden and beautiful churches. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't visited.