What's the deal with the "Lite" C64 version?

Lost? Keep dropping the bolders?
MJongo
Free Range Egg

What's the deal with the "Lite" C64 version?

Postby MJongo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:29 pm

Does anyone know the details of its release and why it was made?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 am

I haven't got the slightest clue why a lite version was released.

Unless the Commodore game players thought the original was too big to complete and the lite version was released to be less difficult.

I managed to beat the lite version and I'm not sure anyone else is gonna realise that the net and the scissors act as heavy rocks so you can go further down the shaft and save Pogie. :v2_dizzy_confused2:

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mataeus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:25 pm

[color="Green"]I was aware that there were other 'heavy' items in the game, but it's been so long since I played it... But I found that an odd continuity factor.[/color]

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm

umm net and scissors.. = one heavy rock?

Odd

AndyC
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:26 pm

I've never had a chance to play the "Lite" version. Any chance of a DizzyAGE remake at some point in the future?

Dizzy9
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Dizzy9 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Dizzy.pl have one.
Maybe you can use google translator?
http://www.dizzy.pl/gry/spbound/droga08d.shtml
If it's unreadable(google translation quality is poor)i'll translate it in day or two

AnthonyJDB
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby AnthonyJDB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm almost sure that the "lite" version was the result of the development team failing to get the game ready on time, hence the weird workarounds (such as having other, small items act as heavy rocks), the slow screen updates, and that unfortunate bug that allowed you, one screen before the end sequence, to jump off the map and into an inescapable limbo of messy test graphic screens. Deeply frustrating, and a clear sign of inadequate playtesting.

It also looks very much as if C64 Spellbound was an attempt to completely rewrite the game engine for C64, with a distinctly different main sprite, background tileset, and transparency effects on Dizzy and the text panels. Possibly writing the engine caused delays, and they had to release the lite game as a stopgap while working on the full version (and even that was lacking many features from the Spectrum version).

zeropolis79

Postby zeropolis79 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Does anyone know how the Lite version was released?

Gary S
Free Range Egg

Postby Gary S » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:33 am

Thought the Lite version (when it was re-released) was a nice little game, showed how good the Lite version can be if programmed properly. On it's original release back in 1991 I hated it because of the slow screen updates, the transparent text blocks which made reading long conversations very difficult, and what the heck was wrong with the windy shaft in the original C64 Lite version? It took an eternity to float up it. Glad the re-makers took more time and care over it. :D

zeropolis79

Postby zeropolis79 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:24 am

Quoting Big Red's R Fred Williams;

With Christmas approaching, it was clear the C64 version wasn't going to be done in time, so we designed a cut-down version. I've got the Speccy source to it somewhere.