Early design documents

Completed the crystal maze?
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Early design documents

Postby Adz.M » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Games that weren't has posted official early design documents for Crystal Kingdom Dizzy for the C64. The document was produced by Synergy.

:egg: http://www.yolkfolk.com/media/dizzy7.pdf (You will need Adobe Reader installed to view it)

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Pogie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:49 pm

This makes for interesting reading! Thanks Adz :tup:

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Hmm, is that really for the Commodore 64 version specifically? I thought that that and all the other "8-bit" versions were done by Visual Impact, while Synergy handled the "16-bit" versions. Well, it did mention the 8-bit life system... But this might not be the final design document, since it also mentions controlling jump height which I don't believe ever happened, and a few of the puzzles are described a bit differently: It says you have to hoist the flag up, so there's no mention of scissors for that or how you get the Blue Peter flag; and it acts as though the only buttons for the lift are on the surface, while in the finished game the buttons are placed to only send the lift away from Dizzy.

I guess the developers of the 8-bit computer versions only set out to fulfill the bare minimum of the game design, while the 16-bit versions went most of the way to adding the "nice touches" described in the notes. Too bad they couldn't just make it look like this, could they? :toothy:

Also some disagreement in the story over whether it was a sunny summer day or a dark and stormy night. :v2_dizzy_smile: