Sorry, but i have to ask this...

Completed the crystal maze?
Big Stu
Your Backpack is Empty

Sorry, but i have to ask this...

Postby Big Stu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Have i been utterly wrong to ignore Crystal Kingdom Dizzy?

The game as i understand it came late in the Amstrad's cycle, when i imagine i was immersed in a whole new gaming world, so i barely knew of it's existence until a few years ago when i was retracing some of my favourite games from my childhood.

So it's something i've never even touched really.

Is it worth me having a go at it? Does it remain true to the original Dizzy games?

Share you experiences please? :)

Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Dizzy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:12 pm

From a Dizzy Fan's perspective.. by all means play it.. its fairly easy (on a par with Prince of the Yolkfolk) in terms of difficulty.
Various system versions of this game vary in quality (bad sprites, substandard gameplay).. But Give it a wack :v2_dizzy_smile: :v2_dizzy_fingers: :v2_dizzy_tongue:

pteal79
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby pteal79 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:05 pm

personally i have never liked crystal kingdom :v2_dizzy_sick: much, as a speccy owner i never forgave codemasters for what they did to the speccy version. No forward jump! :v2_dizzy_scared:

zaks
Free Range Egg

Postby zaks » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:31 pm

pteal wrote:personally i have never liked crystal kingdom :v2_dizzy_sick: much, as a speccy owner i never forgave codemasters for what they did to the speccy version. No forward jump! :v2_dizzy_scared:

No forward jump? what excetly do you mean? can you only jump up in this game?

Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Dizzy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:25 pm

What Peter ment was he can jump in all directions Dizzy usually could but the 'animation' of him jumping up isnt included, so it when you jump directly upward the 'jumping to the side' animation plays... :v2_dizzy_cry: :v2_dizzy_scared: :v2_dizzy_smile:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:01 pm

I never let the way he jumped dissapoint me, I always loved this game to bits when I first played it on the C64, usually made me feel chilled out :)

Zurc
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Zurc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:34 pm

If I recall correctly Dizzy wouldn't roll like in other verisons too?

Was pretty short as the game was divided into levels with a password system.

Nitro
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Nitro » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:25 pm

I really liked it on the Atari, it seemed to be a level up from the previous games. With levels and some of the best dizzy sprites drawn up to that point. Can't forget those tunes either. In difficulty, it was definately more difficult than Prince Of The Yolkfolk in my opinion.

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyUK » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:04 am

I own the Amstrad version now,

It has funky music and is very dizzylike if you ignore the graphic and engine changes.
However it all feels very rushed.

The first level is the best, then it gets gradually worse.

It's nothing like the others 8 bit versions really

Joe
Free Range Egg

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:07 am

pteal wrote:personally i have never liked crystal kingdom :v2_dizzy_sick: much, as a speccy owner i never forgave codemasters for what they did to the speccy version. No forward jump! :v2_dizzy_scared:

Is it not also true that the element of rolling when you hit the ground was totally removed? That's pretty intrinsic to the Dizzy engine - it was something you really had to think about before jumping, there were plenty of sitations through the series where landing on your feet at the right moment was life or death.