question re merging games

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
zeropolis79

question re merging games

Postby zeropolis79 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:35 pm

As a tie in for my Dizzy book, I was thinking of a variation of Fantastic Dizzy but using the original games.

Could the DizzyAGE versions of Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy and Fantasy World be merged into one game (I have a few ideas on how to incorporate them and elements added or removed.

I was thinking that Dizzy returns to the Yolkfolk from the treasure island to find Zaks has taken Daisy to the cloud castle. at one point in the fantasy world environment, dizzy could activate a sign and go into the Dizzy 1 landscape.

any advice is welcome.. many thanks.

Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Dizzy » Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 pm

This is an interesting concept.
Would be a massive game if taking into account all other games in the series.
Of course, you could consider just remaking Fantastic Dizzy in DizzyAGE rather than reinventing the wheel.
:egg: Yolkfolk.com - The Dizzy Fansite :egg:

zeropolis79

Postby zeropolis79 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Didn't think Fantastic Dizzy could be remade in DizzyAGE but you've issued the challenge!

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyG » Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 pm

I think Fantastic Dizzy: Home Alone has shown what can be done! And lots of the sprites are on this site. Elements like the mine cart mini game would be a big challenge, though.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Sun May 31, 2015 7:57 am

Colin did a more or less exact replica of the mine cart mini-game in 'A Pirate's Life', so it's possible.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyG » Sun May 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Cool, I'll have to give that a look! I did download it about a year ago but after about an hour couldn't get past the first puzzle :( . Speaking of which, I finally completed your Almost Spellbound Dizzy a few days ago after I figured out you could press 'up' on the mushrooms! I left the feather in the area above the whale because I figured I'd done everything I needed to up there (that damn tree!), but luckily I had a previous save.

Good news about the mine cart being doable, I wonder if there will ever be a Fantastic Dizzy community project?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Sun May 31, 2015 3:09 pm

zeropolis79 wrote:Could the DizzyAGE versions of Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy and Fantasy World be merged into one game (I have a few ideas on how to incorporate them and elements added or removed.

I was thinking that Dizzy returns to the Yolkfolk from the treasure island to find Zaks has taken Daisy to the cloud castle. at one point in the fantasy world environment, dizzy could activate a sign and go into the Dizzy 1 landscape.

Nice idea. :)

I'm not a professional DizzyAGE user, but I believe it could be possible to merge three worlds into one. But as far as I know, nobody has attempted it.

AndyG wrote:I wonder if there will ever be a Fantastic Dizzy community project?

We still need to finish the Crystal Kingdom Community Project.
The game is now completable, but there is still certain bugs that needs to be looked at, and the matter of having the special options and features added.
I'm hoping that after this year's Competition, somebody can help us fully finish it off.

I'm not currently planning another Community Project after Crystal Kingdom, but depending on how many people would be happy to take on the challenge, then I may consider it.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Sun May 31, 2015 3:26 pm

If you build it from scratch.
I'm not sure you can just cut and past the bits you want from games already made.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Its always the cracked ones that let the light in [/font]

zeropolis79

Postby zeropolis79 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:19 pm

Well, I'm experimenting with DizzyAGE right now. I will admit to using a calculator to work out how big the world can be, but right now, I'm just experimenting with creating a small world.

The main problem is remembering what tile numbers correspond with needed tiles..

I don't want to recreate the mini-games...

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby delta » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:51 pm

There's a couple of ways, depending on how much you want to merge them.

Firstly, you can have the game 'load' different maps at different times, but you'll need to have a qualifier in any code that you write for it (or use different ID numbers for items in each game). The map thing is basically what I did for V2 of Diamond Mine Dizzy. You choose the version you want to play, and the game loads that map.

The second way is if you want to put them all into the same map, so that you walk from one game straight into the next. To do this, you'd have to copy everything from two of the maps into the third, so that it was effectively one game. I'm actually unsure whether this is possible, as I can't ever remember having two map editors open at once, but it should be fairly simple to try it and see.

Even if you can't, and you want him to be able to walk from one game to the next, it's possible to switch maps mid-game. There are all sorts of complications if you want to do this, but as an example, see Illusion Island Dizzy. In that, the 'mini games' are actually completely separate game maps. When you're playing them, what looks like the screen for the normal game is actually the HUD for the mini-games. I forget exactly how I coded it now, but it basically 'unloads' the main game map, and loads the mini-game map. I think it also saves your game before it does so, so that it can be re-loaded in the same place when the main game map is re-loaded. You could do a similar thing with the different games - just unload the map when he exits a certain room, and load the new map. As I said though, it's rather complex to do.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln