Questions about DizzyAGE

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Noggin the Nog » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi darkly, it's great your giving DizzyAGE a go. I've got to say though, your game idea sounds very complicated for a beginner. I'm quite sure everything you want to do in your OP is possible, but you'll need to spend some time, not only learning how to code puzzles, but working out how the existing code fits together.

On the other hand, you've got some proper coding experience, which I didn't have starting out, so you might find it easier than I did.

With the falling leaves, you'll need to write your own bit of AI to do the motion. DizzyAGE comes with a simple bit of AI to make enemies move in straight lines, but if you want to do anything more complicated, you'll have to write the code yourself.

BTW - the resources you'll need to get started are Jamie's video tutorials and Alex's tutorial game. You can find them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Q4aMGEDOM

and here: http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/dz001.html

darkly
Free Range Egg

Postby darkly » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Noggin the Nog wrote:Hi darkly, it's great your giving DizzyAGE a go. I've got to say though, your game idea sounds very complicated for a beginner. I'm quite sure everything you want to do in your OP is possible, but you'll need to spend some time, not only learning how to code puzzles, but working out how the existing code fits together.

On the other hand, you've got some proper coding experience, which I didn't have starting out, so you might find it easier than I did.

With the falling leaves, you'll need to write your own bit of AI to do the motion. DizzyAGE comes with a simple bit of AI to make enemies move in straight lines, but if you want to do anything more complicated, you'll have to write the code yourself.

BTW - the resources you'll need to get started are Jamie's video tutorials and Alex's tutorial game. You can find them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Q4aMGEDOM

and here: http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/dz001.html

Thanks for the kind reply and the links.

I decided to create a smaller game first. I am still learning the DizzyAge program and its harder than I expected.

I am still unsure about the plot and the puzzles for this game. I just know that it will take place in a cemetery at night.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:54 am

The basic AI function can make items move around a bit more than just move in a straight line if you use targets to move the item such as bats etc you see in some of the games ...but will take ages to do if you have stacks of different leaves falling from different trees in lots of 'rooms' (and lots of room updates).

If you check out some of the games with falling acid drops you will see that the function moves the drop down a few pixels at each cycle, but to add sideways movement at the same time is a lot more complicated as Simon has already said.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't 'cheat' and make animated sprites of leaves that change position every frame, leaving a few frames blank so that there is no leaf for a few seconds. Timing would be by setting the 'delay' in the properties to make it look reasonably realistic and as long as you make the layer 'lower' than the tree and the ground, it would seem that they fall out of the tree, blow around a bit and disappear into the ground. As long as you set the 'length' travelled between the tallest tree and the ground then you can just place them on the map ...just make sure that the rooms below are not used if the leaf is going to enter the room below from a smaller tree.

NB if you make the distance longer than the bottom of the tallest tree, you can place the 'tile' higher up the tree so that they don't all appear at the same time.

darkly
Free Range Egg

Postby darkly » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Grandad wrote:The basic AI function can make items move around a bit more than just move in a straight line if you use targets to move the item such as bats etc you see in some of the games ...but will take ages to do if you have stacks of different leaves falling from different trees in lots of 'rooms' (and lots of room updates).

If you check out some of the games with falling acid drops you will see that the function moves the drop down a few pixels at each cycle, but to add sideways movement at the same time is a lot more complicated as Simon has already said.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't 'cheat' and make animated sprites of leaves that change position every frame, leaving a few frames blank so that there is no leaf for a few seconds. Timing would be by setting the 'delay' in the properties to make it look reasonably realistic and as long as you make the layer 'lower' than the tree and the ground, it would seem that they fall out of the tree, blow around a bit and disappear into the ground. As long as you set the 'length' travelled between the tallest tree and the ground then you can just place them on the map ...just make sure that the rooms below are not used if the leaf is going to enter the room below from a smaller tree.

NB if you make the distance longer than the bottom of the tallest tree, you can place the 'tile' higher up the tree so that they don't all appear at the same time.

Thanks for the help. I will try to do all this stuff during the next version of my game. It already looks quite good. I have sent a finished demo to the dizzyAge website. I think that I will open a new topic in the fan games section to hear everyone's thoughts.