Request for Help (Not Technical)

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Request for Help (Not Technical)

Postby Noggin the Nog » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:23 pm

So I'm working on this new game, which is pretty close to complete. I got a new laptop recently and moved the game onto it and something odd happened.

The game has some animation in the Hud, which plays much faster (way too fast) on the new laptop. I tried Sunken Castle and my other games as well and they all had the same problem. I discovered that if you go into the dizzy.ini file (the game setup) and turned the vsync on, this problem stopped, though the animations now played too slowly. That's what I'd expect though, in hindsight, looking at the coding.

I wanted to ask people if they could replicate this for me? When you played Sunken Castle Dizzy, did the animations in the title screen play too fast? Also, can you change the vsync setting to 1 and see if that changes it? With vsync on, the water waves in the title screen should be moving at about half the rate you'd expect.

If anyone knows the cause of this I'd be grateful if you'd explain, if not I'd just like to know if turning vsync on has the same effect on your computer as on mine.

Thank you in advance. :)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:43 am

Sorry about this Simon I've only got the beta version (couldn't even solve that so never got round to downloading the 'proper' version) but the hud runs twice as fast with vsync = 0 which makes the waves look rubbish. Slower, but much more 'realistic' with vsync = 1.

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Noggin the Nog » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Thanks for doing that Steve. I've had a further fiddle around and found out a bit more, if you're interested.

What I did was stick a bit of AI (just updating the x position) in the hud handler and another in the game update handler and basically raced two objects against each other.

What I found was, with vsync turned on, the hud handler updates very slightly faster than the game handler. Whereas with vsync off, it updates much faster. How fast I guess depends on the computer.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:17 am

That's odd, I would have assumed that as the 'game engine' does a complete run through 37 times a second, both should update approximately the same amount each cycle; similar to a bunch of AI objects in the same 'room' being listed in the room update giving the impression of all moving independently.

I found a similar situation in the 'Dizzy Underground' remake. At the end you have to run fast to avoid a bomb, so the player 'speed' is doubled, but the timer goes superfast and counts down from 1000 in 10 seconds, unless you turn vsync on then the timer slows down to a more realistic rate.

So, looks like certain games benefit from having vysnc turned on.