DizzyAGE General Coding Queries

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Pogie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks Grandad :)

After much fiddling and faffing I've managed to get it all into the game and it works extremely well. The only problem is in the CloseRoom function because I get a badtype error every time I try to leave. Any ideas why it'd be objecting?

Other than that it works great :tup:

Edit: Don't worry, I've sorted it. For some reason it didn't like how it was written. I changed the layout of the code in that function slightly and made everything a bit more specific each time a new "set" was made.

Eggsample:

idx = ObjFind(5678);
ObjSet(idx,O_TARGET,790);

It takes longer to write the code by doing that for each object but it now functions absolutely perfectly. And we've ticked one more problem off our list. Grandad, you are a star!!!

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:42 am

No idea why the CloseRoom function was acting silly, but glad that it's working.

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby boo » Fri May 29, 2015 8:13 am

Can someone point me in the right direction for the coding I need for dizzy to hold his breath (and end up drowning in the water) please? I've looked in the books and here on the forum but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
I fully intend to...OOOH! Shiny things! :v2_dizzy_eek:

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Fri May 29, 2015 8:40 am

Not sure what you mean Boo. The behaviour in water is automatic depending on whether he has a scuba or not. It's all dealt with in the Player.gs file (towards the end in the section titled waterplay) and called into play by the HandlerUpdatePlayer section in the Handlers.gs file when 'the material inside the 'player' box is 'water.

You can change how long he survives in water before drowning in the Def.gs file by changing the number in the #def AIR_LEVEL define.

The only extra bit some coders add is to add some extra defines to ensure that Dizzy respawns back to where he entered the water if he drowns rather than respawning in the water where he died.

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby boo » Fri May 29, 2015 8:49 am

Grandad wrote:Not sure what you mean Boo. The behaviour in water is automatic depending on whether he has a scuba or not. It's all dealt with in the Player.gs file (towards the end in the section titled waterplay) and called into play by the HandlerUpdatePlayer section in the Handlers.gs file when 'the material inside the 'player' box is 'water.

You can change how long he survives in water before drowning in the Def.gs file by changing the number in the #def AIR_LEVEL define.

The only extra bit some coders add is to add some extra defines to ensure that Dizzy respawns back to where he entered the water if he drowns rather than respawning in the water where he died.

Ahh right. I must have painted the brush/es wrong or something then. Thanks Grandad, I'll go check that out.
I fully intend to...OOOH! Shiny things! :v2_dizzy_eek:

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Fri May 29, 2015 2:29 pm

Water should be a static brush and generally placed on the map last with a lower layer number than objects that need to be seen.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Parallax scrolling

Postby AndyG » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand parallax scrolling. I downloaded the brilliant Dizzy and the Jewel Thief, which does this very well, and the coding seems very complex. It has been smoothed, and has 4 layers. I'm just looking for a simple example (no smoothing; 2 layers a la Fantastic Dizzy) to get me started. Does anyone know of any other games that use this technique? (Besides Last Hero, which is also too complex for me :cry: ).

By the way, how do people feel about scrolling in general? I disable the Y axis, but even so (possibly due to Dizzy's frame rate, which I may consider altering if I can) it makes me feel just a little sick. I want to persevere though! I think the map can be made smaller with scrolling, as you don't have to worry about the layout of each individual room.

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Rindex » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 am

In the games "Fantastic Dizzy - Home Alone" and "Dizzy - The Last Hero" identical engine. Dizzy goes more smoothly, as on Amiga computers.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyG » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:43 am

I noticed that :) . I gather you helped to modify Noggin's coding to make it smoother. It works really well! I'd like to implement that myself but I think I need to start with the basics so I can understand it, rather than just copying and pasting (which didn't work for me anyway, haha!) I noticed you left notes in your coding but maybe they were written in Russian? Because it shows up in Notepad as just symbols.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant to say Last Hero and Jewel Thief had identical coding. They do though right? I forgot all about Home Alone, which I completed but never looked into.

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Rindex » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:57 am

AndyG wrote:EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant to say Last Hero and Jewel Thief had identical coding. They do though right?

The author of the game Jewel Thief took a scrolling from the game Dizzy - Night at the Museum. It is old engine, it is simple with a scrolling. Comments are written in Russian. New exactly so far in two games about which I told. Though the Night at the Museum 1.04 version is already ready, on new engine. Game became a little bit more difficult.