DizzyAGE General Coding Queries

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 pm

As long as Dizzy triggers the timer a message should still pop up regardless of room shouldn't it?
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Its always the cracked ones that let the light in [/font]

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 am

Don't think that will work Phill as a timer (or status additions) are usually dealt with by room updates as the game has to update it on each cycle, which is why I was toying with the HandlerGameUpdate section of the Handlers file.

Your idea might work Simon, I'll give it a go as just moving a dynamic object should be able to be dealt with by the Handler as it's not requesting a player response ....latent is where the game can pause whilst it waits for a player response. Non latent just happen regardless of what the player does.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Animated font

Postby AndyG » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:48 pm

I've been messing around recently with the font, and was glad to find it was as easy as just editing the "font" tile :) . Does anyone know if it would be easy to make an animated font? I tried saving the tile with the old [space]2 and hoped that would work, but sadly it does not.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:45 am

Shouldn't think so Andy as the font is just the template for the 'text' strings. When people make messages that move up (or down) they're usually objects that are shifted along the 'y' axis. Of course, if you've got a couple of hundred years to spare you could make each message individually in the same way you animate object tiles
:hitwall:

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyG » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:16 am

Well, considering I was trying to replicate the stars counter from Fantastic Dizzy (where the stars spiral in to form the number), it may have taken me some time indeed! :v2_dizzy_lol: 250 animations, and after each star it would need to check, "if you have 1 star, play this animation, else...". But I'll forget this, and work on a simple counter. Thanks anyway!

(The sprite sheet for the numbers 0-9 would have been pretty massive anyway..)

Hobbes
Your Backpack is Empty

Room Name Text Colour

Postby Hobbes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi folks.

Is there a global variable somewhere that sets the colour of the text that displays the room name? I searched through the scripts but couldn't find anything.

At the moment, I've just added the colour reference to the code in handlers.gs, and it works fine. But was curious whether there might have been a colour set somewhere else?

Code: Select all

// title
   rx = GameGet(G_ROOM X) ;
   ry = GameGet(G_ROOMY);
   w = HudGetTextWidth( RoomGetName(rx,ry) );
   HudDrawText( fontid, 160-w/2,9,w,8, [color="#FF0000"]"{c:0xffFFFFFF}" +[/color] RoomGetName(rx,ry), 0

Cheers :)
--== Hobbes ==--

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Noggin the Nog » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:33 am

Hi Hobbes,

No, I don't think there's anything like that - you have to change it piecemeal I think. You could define a global variable and add it into the code of course but it's not worth it obviously.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:40 am

I tend to agree Simon. Looking at the menus.gs file the default is white, but adding colour to the headings is done the same way as hobbes has done by just adding the 'colour code' rather than a define as used in the def.gs file. Can't remember who, but someone did change the colour of the 'life eggs' in the HUD to yellow in one of their games.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Delay drawing the HUD

Postby AndyG » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I want to start my new game with an intro sequence before the HUD is drawn. I'd like Dizzy to fall from the very top of the screen (where the HUD will be drawn later). This part isn't crucial though, and a solution may be to just have 2 HUD's, the first of which is just black space. (Of course, the text and life bar would also need to be delayed or altered temporarily.)

I've been reading up on this, and having a mess around with the handler, and I can't seem to figure it out. Apparently, DrawHud is called by the engine? I'm not sure what that means and I can't find any reference to it outside of the handlers file. I know Mystic Forest Dizzy has a brilliant intro, but I've had a look at that and I'm still none the wiser.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyG » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Here's where I am at the moment: I put #def HUDRAW 70 in the def file and inserted a bit into the handlers file, so it reads:

Code: Select all

// cover
   hudraw = GameGet(G_HUDRAW);
   if(GameGet(G_COVER) && hudraw==0)

{
... (everything here as normal)
}

This works as far as the menu screen: there will be a HUD display as long as I write hudraw==0, any other numbers it will be missing. Great! But when I start the game, the HUD appears. I don't want it to appear until I change the variable myself, because I want to make an intro. Any ideas much appreciated as always!