DizzyAGE News

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 pm

wooo!

i'm still uncertain whether mine will be finished on time or not.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:32 pm

Mine will be ready, for sure..
unless i click the wrong button again and lose it all.
I need to redeem my self from the Scrambled Eggs embarrassment.
Current progect should proved some entertainment.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:52 pm

:) that's good! don't be afraid to ask people to beta-test it. beta testing helps improve games enormously, especially if you use good beta testers. :say_yes:

good beta testers will test absolutely everything. they'll try things you won't have thought of, or try and do things or use objects in different orders. in the process they'll find bugs you'd never have found, and discover unintended consequences. They'll make loads of suggestions, including what puzzles don't really work, what dialogue doesn't sit right in the game, and advise of any silly little mistakes you didn't spot yourself. if they don't understand bits of the game they'll tell you it doesn't make sense, and suggest where you may want to change the design slightly if something doesn't look right. Of course you don't have to go with these suggestions, but they provide food for thought, and you may decide to work things a different way entirely because of those suggestions.

not so good beta testers.... will play the game, and tell you it looks good. They may find the odd bug or two, but this will usually be in the normal course of play, and will probably have been found by one of your other beta testers by then anyway.

I'd advise you to use a few beta testers, as you will find that some people have an instinctive understanding of what is required of a beta tester. other people - nothing against them - simply don't have that understanding.

Finally when using beta testers, don't forget to give them a bit of credit in the readme file (or even in the game itself if you wish to!)

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:50 am

yeah, wont need them for a bit yet.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09 pm

DizzyAGE v2.3 is now available:
http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/download.html

It has native scrolling and flipping support:
http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/articl ... games.html

Editor bug fixed (long tiles path) and custom screen size ;)

The DizzyAGE book have been updated including changes from v2.2.1
Also a few FAQ entries, also from v2.2.1 features:
http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/articl ... #renameexe

Games for v2.2 or v2.2.1 are fully compatible and can upgrade to v2.3 just by copying the new dizzy.exe and setup.exe files. The only advantage is the support for vsync (set from dizzy.ini or setup).

Check history.txt for full details.
I hope I didn't miss anything :)

Have fun!
Alex

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat May 09, 2009 2:02 pm

alex, will save games saved in v2.2.1 of dizzyage work with v2.3 (provided nothing else is changed?)

also, is it just me, or is the 'setup.exe' icon now the same as the game icon? :v2_dizzy_confused2: (EDIT:: it's just me, it was always the same. i thought it used to be the 'cogs' logo)

one last thing that i've been meaning to say for ages, the first few words of the copyright disclaimer on the DizzyAGE site are missing... EDIT:: i've figured out why. the image for TOS is too big and covers over the 'dizzy' part of the disclaimer.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat May 09, 2009 8:19 pm

alex, what happens with scrolling if you get to the edge of the map?

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Sun May 10, 2009 8:16 am

delta wrote:alex, what happens with scrolling if you get to the edge of the map?
I hope it doesn't crash or anything bad...
It should just show nothing (background color only) and material should be 0.
Let me know if it doesn't work like this.

Anyway it's best to have a border of 1 room where you can't reach - just to look good.

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Sun May 10, 2009 8:25 am

I've updated the DizzyAGE website and automated the display of game versions. Now I keep them in the internal "database" with the counters and download links.

They should be visible on the "games" page (along with the download counters) and on each game's page.

http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/games.html

Authors should check it out and let me know if the displayed versions of their games are incorrect.

I used the values from the readme files included in the game zips. Where the version was missing I set it to v1.0. Everybody should have a version id like that in their readme.txt files and should update it when sending me upgrades. Ideally this version should be also set in the dizzy.inf file (that is displayed in setup.exe and in the game's about dialog box - press F1).

P.S.
I uploaded the games Jamie sent me (upgraded to DizzyAGE v2.3)
Thanks Jamie, for keeping your games up to date.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 am

Mine are fine :)

i decided to update IID as there was also a bug needed fixing, and as it was so easy to update v2.2 games to v2.3 i decided to do most of my others too.