Dizzy walkthroughs/longplays

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 am

Oh silly me, I just noticed the other day that the Commodore 64 versions of Treasure Island Dizzy, MagicLand Dizzy, and Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk also allow you to switch between music and sound effects with the M key, and those three games actually feature a nice variety of sounds.

And speaking of sounds, I also realized that the 48k Spectrum games are nice just because you could play different music over them while keeping all the game sound effects. I thought I could use that technique if I ever made a "Dizzy death montage"...

I've been thinking that if I do another longplay, it should be of Treasure Island Dizzy, but I can't decide which system it should be on. Does anyone have a preference for which version of Treasure Island Dizzy I should show next?

jimmimak
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by jimmimak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:42 pm

I did a runthrough of the Master System version last night, and talk about Zacks Tower here:
http://yolkfolk.com/bb/showthread.php?t=1666

@BOMF:
You're right, you can't jump to the island to get the aqualung - it's significantly further away.

Under the graveyard, it's harder to jump back to the platform to use the trampoline, so I suggest using the umbrella and the aqualung (makes you invulnerable to the hazards down there). You can get onto the platform, drop the bucket of water, pick up the trampoline and then drop that on the platform, pick up the bucket again and leave and you have all your items intact.

With the missing piece puzzles, I got even closer last night to finishing one, but still get to a point where everything except 2 adjacent pieces are in the right place. It seems you have to do it in as few moves as possible.

1 2 3 4
1 |X|B| | |
2 | |A| | |
3 | | | | |
4 | | | | |

Above is supposed to represent where I got to - X is blank, and A and B need to be swapped. To me it looks like it would take too many moves to swap them in time..?

I also tried to get the Prince's secret sign, but it didn't work. Has anyone tried leaving the gold coin underneath the dragon so that they can steal an egg? Has anyone tried selling a gold egg to the shopkeeper after giving the shamrock to the leprechaun? Have you tried giving the coin to the leprechaun? I recall trying all that stuff years ago but can't remember if it did anything. I think I remember breaking the bridge in the mine over the lava using the bridgebuilder's axe, but my memory is not so good (was about 15 years ago). That would make the game unbeatable.

It would be really awesome (and challenging) if someone made a 1:1 world map using screenshots. Unless it's possible do read the ROM and do it that way? Then you could have a massive poster of the Dizzy world on your wall :) Has anyone done this yet? A friend of mine wants to do this with the Sonic games and sell posters and 3D reliefs of them.

Lemmy556
Free Range Egg

Post by Lemmy556 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Fantastic Dizzy, so many sercets

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:03 pm

jimmimak wrote:It seems you have to do it in as few moves as possible.

To me it looks like it would take too many moves to swap them in time..?
I dunno, I found I had time to make a couple of little mistakes; I just couldn't afford to get completely stumped. I think to get 2 tiles into the right places together I would rotate 5 tiles around a 2x3 area to allow the insertion to happen. Whenever I have only a 2x2 area in the corner left to solve, just rotating those 3 tiles should eventually fix them.
jimmimak wrote:Has anyone tried selling a gold egg to the shopkeeper
ExpHPKun did!
jimmimak wrote:It would be really awesome (and challenging) if someone made a 1:1 world map using screenshots.
You mean like this? But that was for the Genesis version. I might finish a map for the NES version someday.

jimmimak
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by jimmimak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm

@BOMF I found the same Genesis map today too. It's awesome!
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/Genesis/Fan ... -World.png

VGMaps has lots of them, but no 8-bit Fantastic Dizzy Maps. :(

It's a shame the Genesis version doesn't have Dizzy Down the Rapids. I also noticed theres 2 bags of gold coins on the Genesis version, due to the lack of the rapids mini-game.

I don't know whether you can bribe the leprechaun with items other than the shamrock, or whether the guard will accept items other than a sack of gold? Probably not, but you don't know until you try. :v2_dizzy_smile:

I found some NES version longplays on youtube. Red and Blue version. (not sure what the difference is). It's interesting how people do things in different orders. I like to do as much in yolkfolk village as I can before leaving the area, then get the aqualung and flippers and do all the underwater and mine stuff. Other people like to go straight to the town and mines first... Theres also differences in the ways people decide to use or store items - I like to use certain items straight away, and some people seem to hoard items for related tasks together and go on a puzzle solving spree. :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

jimmimak wrote:I found some NES version longplays on youtube. Red and Blue version. (not sure what the difference is).
The red version I think was only available on the Alladin deck enhancer where the puzzles are some what the same as the Master System version.

The blue version was the original NES version where Dizzy walks slower, I think the number of puzzles were either cut down or altered and you had to get 100 stars instead of 250.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Yeah, most of the objects were the same, but almost all of them were moved to different locations. A couple of puzzles were changed; for one thing, there was no machine wrench for the elevator control machine, and instead you pushed buttons on four separate consoles that affected each other until you managed to get all the elevators you needed turned on at the same time. (That the machine and lifts still had the numbers 1 through 4 in the later 8-bit versions was basically a remnant of this first version; the 16-bit updates remove that evidence.) And instead of throwing a single bag of salt into a pool to raise a log in it, you threw in three rocks collected from throughout the bay to raise the water level just like in Fantasy World Dizzy. And the bucket for water didn't exist at all!

Also, none of the mini-games contained stars in that version, so the only point of them was to reach the exit, and if you could find another way to reach that goal area, then you could skip the mini-game completely. For example, you can find the match that helps you free Denzil a lot earlier, and use his flippers to reach the island with the aqualung. Then you never need to get kicked off the pirate ship.

So putting about ten stars in each of the three vertical scroller mini-games contributed quite a bit to that higher star count, and then just doubling the number of stars in each adventure area did the rest. But something unique about the blue version's stars is that they make all the enemies disappear for a while! You get a few seconds where time is essentially frozen and you can walk right past your foes, but be careful not to walk into something else by the time the number disappears! I think it's simply to accommodate the NES's sprite limitation, but it's a neat bonus for finding a new star, just like those 2-in-1 healing collectibles from earlier games. The only downside is that you also can't collect fruit while the number's onscreen. In the red versions, it's changed so that enemies only flicker but keep moving and hurting you, and you're only prevented from collecting other stars while the number is flashing.

It's funny how the later versions of Fantastic Dizzy change the physics of Zaks' tower so that Dizzy is suddenly forced to walk more slowly. I'm pretty sure this was done to ensure the tower climb layout would still work properly, by reverting to an older movement style for Dizzy. In the blue version of The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, those were the physics of the entire game, so the tower felt like a normal area, only it scrolled vertically, and you faced a new enemy that could knock you down a floor.

jimmimak
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by jimmimak » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am

Bag of Magic Food wrote:It's funny how the later versions of Fantastic Dizzy change the physics of Zaks' tower so that Dizzy is suddenly forced to walk more slowly. I'm pretty sure this was done to ensure the tower climb layout would still work properly, by reverting to an older movement style for Dizzy. In the blue version of The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, those were the physics of the entire game, so the tower felt like a normal area, only it scrolled vertically, and you faced a new enemy that could knock you down a floor.
I found it so difficult to suddenly have Dizzy moving differently, after learning how to run and jump you have to retrain yourself how you do it just at the end of the game. Luckily, the bouncing ball enemy doesn't knock you down on the Sega 8-bit versions, they must have realised it was already too difficult learning new jumping physics. As you can see on my video, I look like a complete newbie because I am learning how to jump from scratch.

This is all really interesting. I have played the NES version briefly before deciding I preferred the Game Gear version (that I'm used to). I didn't realise there were so many differences. I also saw the missing piece puzzle on the NES version, and it looked much easier - only a small portion of the puzzle was mixed up instead of the whole thing. Then again, it's harder to match text than it is to make a picture.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 am

Hey hey, The Unhappy Cucumber finished a play through Fantasy World Dizzy for PC! There's no sound at all, though.

About Fantastic Dizzy on emulators: It might be worth looking into another multi-console one called RetroCopy, as it's said to have some of the best Sega Master System and Game Gear emulation, and a recent update claims it now supports video recording, as evidenced by the hundreds of videos of game intros recorded from it. I tried it out and got the SMS Fantastic Dizzy to run, but I never did find whatever key or menu option was supposed to start recording video, so I don't know if that feature's just hard to locate, or if it's actually in a later revision that only the author has access to right now. And I don't know whether it's the cycle-accurate emulation or the fancy-pants multimedia "game room" interface that I can't fully disable, but the game had some major lag problems with regards to input, where Dizzy would often keep running in the same direction long after I let go of the button. I think that's a common effect in games that are too CPU-intensive for my poor old laptop, though, so again maybe someone with a better computer can give it a try. I wasn't able to position Dizzy over his house key, but I never ran into the freezing bug in all my attempts, either!

Lemmy556
Free Range Egg

Post by Lemmy556 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Very good! I try record Fantastic Dizzy with that emulator on weekend