Dizzy returns 9/12/2011 with Prince of the Yolkfolk

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 am

Not played RRD for a while but seem to remember falling to my death on the railroad to the right, getting stung to death on either the upper or lower left areas, but will get back to it and try again.

Thanks for the advice AdzM about Clover, but no joy I'm afraid. Logged on, paid by PayPal, downloaded the setup.exe file only to find that when I tried to run the file 'Clover_setup.exe' got an error box saying that it is not a valid win32 application. Not sure what that means, I have XP.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm

It should run on XP.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Deejay
Free Range Egg

Post by Deejay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Email me for help with Clover: A Curious Tale, I've certainly not had any issues with installer before. Maybe a corrupt download?

Desperately want to post some things about POTY, but will have to wait until I've got more time!
Deejay - Proprietor, Binary Tweed; Cloud/PaaS/NoSQL/Big Data Consultant
binarytweed.com - New games that are a bit like old games, but better
Clover: A Curious Tale - New & improved, on PC & XBLIG
IndieCity - Play a different game

Deejay
Free Range Egg

Post by Deejay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Porting an existing game is a fairly cheap way of testing the market. If people had grander plans, then this would be the perfect way of finding out if there's demand for further investment in the Dizzy brand. As such, I'd recommend that every Dizzy fan spreads the word far and wide, and buys at least one copy each - I know I will be!

Whatever sticking point that was preventing new Dizzy games being made must have been resolved now, so hopefully this is just the start. Let's just hope it sells enough to grab the bean-counters' attention.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 pm

If it becomes a hit then I'm sure all they will do is port the other games.
And i can not see a proper new Dizzy adventure being made, unless they are POTY size and made just for phones. :(
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:04 am

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this "testing the waters" theory of marketing. Remaking an old game poorly won't restore our faith; show us you can make something new!

pteal79
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by pteal79 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:27 am

I would have to say that POTY is less of a "testing the waters" game that people seem too think.

I'm off the opinion that they choose POTY more for nostalgia, it has been almost 20 years since the last game came out and they need to release something people will remember to reignite the franchise.
I mean if they released a game called for arguments sake "Wonderland Dizzy" how many casual games would identify the name with the dizzy games franchise? they are quite a few games kicking about with dizzy in the title.

Hopefully sales will be good enough that we will see more hd make overs of the classic games, and maybe some new releases.

Deejay
Free Range Egg

Post by Deejay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 am

Bag of Magic Food wrote:Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this "testing the waters" theory of marketing. Remaking an old game poorly won't restore our faith; show us you can make something new!
True, but it's not about restoring your/our faith - it's about showing the management of Codemasters, who have no affinity for the ancient past of their brand, that there's a financially lucrative opportunity that can be exploited. The current management of Codies are not the Darlings, and I expect don't give two hoots about an IP that has been dormant for twenty years and doesn't particularly appeal to any large demographic. If cartoon eggs were what the gaming masses wanted then we wouldn't have been bombarded with space marines walking corridors for the last ten years.

I believe there are some fundamental design changes required to make a new Dizzy game a viable product in this day and age, and solving those problems won't necessarily be easy, and therefore won't be cheap. The HD remake of POTY could quite feasibly have been made by a single programmer and an artist, with no pre-production phase of concept or design work. That, by most studios measure, is a very cheap project. I think one of the other posters said that the chap working on this was a freelancer, so maybe there weren't even any upfront costs for Codies.

EDIT

Sorry, that came over a bit grumpy and aggressive, which wasn't what I intended!

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Another video was posted today, showing snippets of the upcoming Prince of the Yolkfolk game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIisRJbAL90

Sorry about the hyperlink, YouTube's embed code isn't working for me. :v2_dizzy_confused2:

Eggsplosive New Dizzy Video!

Today we are eggcitedly unveiling a brand new video featuring Dizzy, the iconic videogame character resurreggted from the 8 bit-era for the 21st century.

The new video shows the classic cartoon eggventurer exploring the magical kingdom of Keldor. Our hard boiled hero is shown in eggsplosive action as he helps lions, eggs-changes items with the Grim Reaper and, crucially, scares Rockwart the Troll. Using his trademark jumps and tumbles, Dizzy displays eggstraordinary agility as he vaults his way through tree tops, crosses the river Styx and rides platforms through a castle. To help him on his scramble to save the Yolkfolk and rescue his girlfriend Daisy, Dizzy can collect and use items -- from matches to axes and buckets of water. It's all in a day's work for the fry-hard hero.

Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk, a special eggdition of the 1991 eggventure, will launch on "Egg-mergence Day" -- Friday 9th December -- for iPad (£2.49), iPhone (£1.49) and Android devices (£1.49), offering eggceptional value.

The new edition of the game will not, unfortunately, be available for Laystation.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:35 pm

I've just noticed something in the new video.

At 0:31, it shows Dizzy entering the King's castle, with an extra life waiting inside the entrance (like on the 16-bit version).

The extra life also has sunglasses on the 16-bit version. On the remake, the gloves and shoes on the extra life egg are blue, and Colin Page came up with the idea of colouring Denzil's gloves and shoes blue on his later DizzyAGE games.
Sheer coincidence? Or do you reckon the team behind the remake played the more recent DizzyAGE games? :p