Can I sell My Dizzy Artwork?

A place to post interesting information to the community.
dizzy1
Your Backpack is Empty

Can I sell My Dizzy Artwork?

Post by dizzy1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Hello Dizzy Fans!

I have drawn some Dizzy artwork. Am I allowed to sell it online?

Thanks!

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:50 pm

you'll have to try it, see if it works.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:00 pm

hmm don't know tbh. If I was you I'd include a slip of paper with the standard legal sentence on it, just to be on the safe side.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

dizzy1
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by dizzy1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:23 pm

delta wrote:hmm don't know tbh. If I was you I'd include a slip of paper with the standard legal sentence on it, just to be on the safe side.
What would be the standard legal sentence?

Lex_Hedley
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lex_Hedley » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 pm

http://www.yolkfolk.com/bb/showthread.p ... =copyright

"Dizzy", "The Yolkfolk" and all related characters and titles are trademarks of Oliver Twins Limited and The Codemasters Software Company Limited.
All rights reserved.

dizzy1
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by dizzy1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for the link.

So I can sell artwork/drawings as long as I include a notice?

pteal79
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by pteal79 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 am

dizzy1 wrote:Thanks for the link.

So I can sell artwork/drawings as long as I include a notice?
That is something you would have to take up with Codemasters directly, but i would be surprised if they were to allow it.
They do allow us to produce fan game as long as we include a pre-defined copyright and trademark disclaimer, and the games are NOT for profit. i.e. free

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:02 pm

I've seen people sell images of characters for all sorts of things. My local coffee shop displays artwork locals have done, some of it of real people or characters (and they are for sale)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:27 am

A stand alone cartoon drawing of an egg with boots and gloves is in itself not subject to copyright laws. Similarity of a specific drawing and any derivative drawings of an obvious copy of 'Dizzy' (and other Yolkfolk) characters are subject to copyright law. Exceptions are legally permitted, usually within a larger framework with the intent to inform (or sometimes mock), but trying to profit solely from copyrighted original (or derivative) drawings without permission is not legal.

However, this is a civil offence, not a criminal one and if you attempt to sell your artwork without permission from the copyright holders (The Oliver Twins and Codemasters) then they are entitled to sue your arse off, but they will have to bear their own legal costs, but by the same token so will you and that would probably work out a lot more expensive than any profits you may gain from any sales. But, that does depend on which country you live in and whether it is financially viable for the copyright holders to attempt a civil suit in your country. Although if you are attempting to sell them via the internet, then the copyright holders would most likely contact the provider and they would shut your account down rather than get involved in the threat of a law suit.

Some companies will refuse permission on principle regardless of the medium as it can open the floodgates to other persons attempting to profit from their creation, regardless of whether or not they (The Oliver Twins & Codemasters) have any future intentions of marketing within said medium.

But, as Peter says, contact Codemasters. You never know, they might give you the go ahead for what is basically a very limited market.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:45 pm

When i go to various festivals and events there is always someone selling artwork they produced and all of it is famous people or characters. So they don't get into trouble for selling their artwork of Batman or whoever they decided to paint in canvas.