Can I sell My Dizzy Artwork?

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:01 am

Real people are different as you can't copyright your own features, which would please some 'famous' people, but not the paparazzi or newspapers. Fictitious characters are somewhat different as obvious derivatives are still considered part of the copyright and companies tend to buy merchandising licences for mass sales of a particular character. Also, copyright law only lasts for the lifetime of the creator plus a set number of years, but there are extra complications if the copyright has also been registered by a company as a trademark.

But as I said, copyright holders can sue, but have to bear their own costs and in cases of individuals selling unlicenced stuff at fairs, festivals etc it is generally not cost effective. Plus, of course, they actually have to find out about it. However, selling stuff on the internet makes it a lot easier to discover alleged plagiarism because of search engines and it's easier to threaten to sue a provider than the individual responsible.

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 am

Whats wrong with selling art inspired by something?
Surely it happens all the time

As long as its an original creation and not a copy of someone elses work

I've been to exhibitions where artists sell their pictures of lord of the rings characters. They've been so successful, they've been asked to do "official" artwork

Or Sainsbury's selling t-shirts with the Millenium falcon printed on it - I doubt George Lucas gets a cut
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:05 pm

A lot depends on how far you can go with the definition of 'derivative'. Decades ago, Disney would have claimed copyright on any drawing that looked vaguely like Mickey Mouse. The copyright on Lord of the Ring characters lies with the Tolkein estate as he was the originator of the 'characters' even though they were just names and literary descriptions in a book and permission would have to have been given for a film using those characters, so artwork based on the visual portrayal of those characters is not a copyright issue per se. Oh, and you can be certain that Sainsbury's etc do have a licence to sell items depicting other people's original work.

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Rindex » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:54 pm

dizzy1, a few pictures can be seen?

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by geekgirl101 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm

"Dizzy", "The Yolkfolk" and all related characters and titles are trademarks of Oliver Twins Limited and The Codemasters Software Company Limited.
All rights reserved.

This would indicate that anything that you create that is related to Dizzy, The Yolkfolk, and any other related characters and titles is trademarked, ie. you cannot make claim to it without Oliver Twins Limited and The Codemasters Software Company Limited. If you want to sell fan-made pictures you'll need to ask them first.