buying a new computer

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

buying a new computer

Post by Grandad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Now that Microsoft are discontinuing their security patches from early April for computers with XP it looks like I'm now going to have to buy a new computer if I want my internet to be secure. I've been looking at various comparison sites and it seems that Windows 8.1 is as close as I'm going to get to what I'm used to in terms of file management as it seems to have the option of either touch screen or 'normal' file management. Other than that I have no idea of what type of PC to consider getting, other than getting a desktop (not into laptops, or phones with internet access).

I've been looking at various manufacturer sites, but am none the wiser as to what sort of machine to buy and would be grateful if anyone has any decent advice. The only games I'll be playing on it would be Dizzy games and hopefully DizzyAge runs on Windows 8.1 so I can still continue making them. Other than that all I'm interested in is something basic. Money isn't an issue, just a decent computer that's reliable and doesn't go wrong.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Or keep your current computer and buy Windows 7, it's about £70 theses days. That's what I plan on doing for my desktop (which I hardly use theses days)

I don't think security will be too much of an issue of you've got good virus protection and I doubt anyone wants to hack into XP theses days. My old XP has been far more secure than my windows 7 which gets busted at least twice a year.. nothing serious thankfully.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:35 pm

I heard rumours that there are some kind of compatibility issues with Windows 8. More particularly with PC games like the Mystery Case Files series which I tend to play every now and then.
I'm sort of concerned that DizzyAGE might not work on there either, then again I don't know anyone who owns Windows 8, so I'm not sure.

I've had Windows 7 on my laptop for almost 2 years now and I haven't had any severe problems with it.....yet :p

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Grandad wrote:Now that Microsoft are discontinuing their security patches from early April for computers with XP it looks like I'm now going to have to buy a new computer if I want my internet to be secure. I've been looking at various comparison sites and it seems that Windows 8.1 is as close as I'm going to get to what I'm used to in terms of file management as it seems to have the option of either touch screen or 'normal' file management. Other than that I have no idea of what type of PC to consider getting, other than getting a desktop (not into laptops, or phones with internet access).
I don't like the idea of touch screen so i'm glad to hear you can use normally as well. I don't have a touch screen phone, I like to use a mouse, keyboard or handset with buttons, just what I find normal. When I heard Windows 8 was touch screen I thought I want to avoid it, that and it lost the start button which I think they have replaced now as users didn't like.

I'm pretty similar to yourself Grandad.

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Dizzyage and games work fine in windows 8. You can bypass the horrible new metro interface, get hold of start8. It's about £3.50 (or there is a another one that is freeware, but i have not tried it(. It will make win 8 look and function more like win 7. Giving you back the old start button and menu. No you don't need a touch screen for it.

I dual boot windows 7 and windows 8 (and until last weekend xp). 8 boots up faster than 7 and way faster than xp to boot and operate.

As I build my own, I wouldn't go for an off the shelf one (they are usually cheap for a reason)
My advise would be to go to a good independant computer shop that will build one for you, to your requirements, with good quality parts.
ImageImageImage

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Colin wrote:As I build my own, I wouldn't go for an off the shelf one (they are usually cheap for a reason)
My advise would be to go to a good independant computer shop that will build one for you, to your requirements, with good quality parts.

I actually did with mine Colin, got it built with an independant.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks for the advice. I've also been checking some of the programs I use on a regular basis and found that most of them are for XP or Vista so just upgrading the PC to Windows 7 would probably mean buying new copies. I checked out start8 on Wikipedia and found that the number of people who have downloaded that type of software are in the millions, so it would seem that an awful lot of people are not happy with touchscreen desktops. Have also looked at some independant manufacturers and it seems that most are geared to more high end machines with top quality innards.

I'm still a little concerned about just ignoring the lack of new security patches as I've spoken to the tech people at ESET (my antivirus software) and they were very helpful in explaining the potential damage of 'holes' in the XP OS and the limitations of my 'regular' programs and suggested that if I was happy with the performance of my XP machine just to buy a very basic Windows 7 desktop or laptop, reinstall ESET on it (at no cost) and just copy files over to the 'new' machine that needed to be uploaded or mailed as that would give me a few years grace to consider a permanent upgrade as Windows 7 security patches would be going till at least 2020.

This seems like a workable solution, so unless someone responds with 'don't be silly' it looks like Amazon here I come.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Most of your programs shouldn't have any trouble running on a newer windows, windows 7 will tend to find all the relevant drives and everything to get them to run. I've only experience old video games not being able to run on a higher system, but you may be able to download a patch that fixes that, which will make it compatible.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in