Arjak's Dizzy Journal

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Arjak
Free Range Egg

Arjak's Dizzy Journal

Post by Arjak » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks to the new page on the site that allows you to play all the classic Dizzy in a browser, I have decided to try to complete as many of them as I can. I have previously only dabbled in the original games, never fully taking the plunge until recently.

Well, I've done it. I've beaten my first official Dizzy adventure, Prince of the Yolkfolk, on November 27, 2015.

Now that I have accomplished this, I am hoping to eventually beat the others, and at this point, I would like to ask for input. I played Prince of the Yolkfolk first because I had heard it was one of the easier games in the series, and I am wondering where I should go from here. PotY was hard enough, so I would like to start with something close to the same difficulty, and slowly work my way through the games in order of difficulty.

As far as Prince of the Yolkfolk, if that was one of the easier games, then I am quite concerned as I already wanted to tear my hair out. I tried to only look at the walkthrough when I was truly stuck, which happened a few times. I finally got to the end, and guess what? I didn't have all the cherries! I went around, looking in every nook and cranny, behind every tile, and when I had 19, I died.

RAGE!

I doubled my efforts to beat the game, keeping an eagle eye out for any potential hiding place as I played through the game again, and as I neared the end, I found the last cherry. After I cheered up the princess (for a second time), I noticed that for some reason, the brick right behind her couldn't be stepped on. I stood in front of it and pressed Enter. The brick was in my inventory! SUCCESS! I found the last cherry! I quickly wrapped up the rest of the game, and won without having lost a single life. Even thought the ending was short, it was enjoyable for the little surprises it had, and just for the relief of finally beating it.

Seriously though, the Oliver Twins deserve a strong punishment for coming up with the idea of hiding crucial collectibles behind innocuous background tiles. That is just evil.

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:23 am

Arjak wrote:Seriously though, the Oliver Twins deserve a strong punishment for coming up with the idea of hiding crucial collectibles behind innocuous background tiles. That is just evil.
You better get used to that if you are going to play all the others :dizzy_biggrin: , good luck! Personally, I find one of the nastiest and most frustrating tricks is to come to a puzzle on one side of the map, have to traverse all the way to the other side to get the required object, then having to get back again. :dizzy_mad:
As for which game is the easiest, I would suggest maybe Spellbound, but I have only really played the 8 bit Dizzys. But if you are going to crib from the walkthrough, then I don't think it will make a lot of difference! I would certainly leave Treasure Island until last though, as I found that very tough and unforgiving.
Insert signature here

Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Dizzy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks for your post.
Congrats for completing POTY it certainly would be the one to start with.
Now which one next...
In terms of difficulty. I would go for either Magicland Dizzy or Wonderland Dizzy as your next adventure.
The 'quests' are only slightly more longer than POTY and a good 'next step'.

Hope this helps.
:egg: Yolkfolk.com - The Dizzy Fansite :egg:

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:18 am

I'd say from easiest to hardest is

~Dizzy the Adventurer: PotY with more puzzles but you don't have to collect cherries and you can only die by falling in water.
~Crystal Kingdom: It is split up into four parts so it is more like four mini games. And no collectibles.
~Prince of the Yolkfolk: Short.
~Wonderland: This version of Magicland is sightly easier especially if you play with both Dizzy and Daisy. While there are more stars none are hidden.
~Magicland: The most basic Dizzy game. Not to hard not to easy, not long or short. And also my favorite.
~Fantasy World: A couple of harder parts but not too hard.
~Fantastic Dizzy: Very long but puzzles are not too hard. The NES version (Fantastic Adventures) is harder.
~Treasure Island: While short and not very hard the one hit/one life mechanics make this a much much harder game then it would be. Especially if you miss a coin and have to go searching the whole map for it.
~Ultimate Cartoon Adventure: You can only carry one item and most of the time have to go back and forth across the entire map. Couple of places that you will lose the entire game if you mess up.
~Spellbound: Long and you get hurt from falling. Going back and forth over the pit getting rocks all the time gets tedious (and dangerous if your not careful). Some fiendishly hidden things.

Arjak
Free Range Egg

Post by Arjak » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks, SnTrooper! This list is exactly what I need.

Hmm, I actually still had a bit of a hard time with POTY, so I think I'm going to go with Dizzy the Adventurer next, and then Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, as a bit of a pallet cleanser. After that, I will go down the list, and hope for the best. I'll try to keep you all updated on my progress through the series in this thread. Also, I think I'll try not to look at walkthroughs, and instead come here for hints if I need them.

See you soon!

Arjak
Free Range Egg

Post by Arjak » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 pm

November 29, 2015

Well, that went by quicker than expected. Dizzy the Adventurer is beat!

In this case, I feel they made the game a little too easy by removing the health bar and related hazards. The stars are much easier to collect than the cherries, and I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, some of the hiding places for the cherries were completely insane, but I almost feel that collecting the stars was a little too easy.

I also liked some of the additions, like the fact that you actually get to use the flying carpet! It really bothered me in POTY that they make a big deal out of you getting this item, only for it to be a red herring. I also liked that they included the Yolkfolk in this version, even if only on a very limited level. I was curious where they were in POTY. I also got a bit of a chuckle out of the 'hole in the bag' moment. That was clever.

One thing I found kind of odd was the way things were altered, possibly due to Nintendo censorship. The grim reaper was changed, but they left in St. Peter! Very odd, considering Nintendo's stance on game content at that time...

In any case, Dizzy the Adventurer was a fun, but too short and easy jaunt. I feel both satisfied and disappointed at the same time. Oh well, Maybe Crystal Kingdom will give me a bit more of a challenge than this, which was basically Baby's First Dizzy Game.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:25 am

Fantasy world dizzy is easier than Magicland in my opinion.

Watch out with Spellbound because it's the largest game of the lot, no sure how hard it is as it's the only game i haven't completed. (and Fantastic Dizzy but that's because i don't like it and never want to play it)

Dizzy 1 isn't too bad, you lives bit no health bar, but you can kill most of the baddies if you wish, takes longer but makes it much easier. plus there's no coins to collect.

Treasure Island Dizzy is the hardest if you;ve never played it before, but once you memorise where those hidden traps are and get used to the inventory system it's not too bad, other then those hidden traps there's nothing nasty about it. (other than coin collection)
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:41 am

The first Dizzy game I played was Treasure Island Dizzy (Atari version) and remember from the magazines around at the time (no internet then!) that 'clever' people were competing about which order to solve the various puzzles gave the quickest completion time, but like you Meph, I found it so easy to screw up when playing it!

My beef with Fantasy World was the dragon as its fire was random, rather than a set pattern you could work out. But the game that gave me the most satisfaction was Spellbound (apart from that %$£$%$ pit with the trampette).

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyG » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 am

I always thought Fantasy World was the next easiest after Magicland (if you don't count the rubbish Crystal Kingdom, which I never bothered much with). The lily pads around the witch, and the shark moat, were too fiendish for me and soon killed me off. Plus, it wasn't until recently with the internet that I discovered a certain piece of scenery in the ice castle was passable (hope I'm not spoiling!) - so I was always stuck. Spellbound I decided was just too hard, and it was the only game I actually gave up on, because the trampette drove me mad.

Saying that though, the most evil thing they did BAR NONE was the amazing illusion.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Fantasy World has to be easier than Magicland doesn't it? but nowhere near as good.

I still rekon Dizzy 1 is a good balance, only bit that really bothers me is underground with the mushrooms.. i always find that difficult.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in