Yes, I am a Wimp!

A place to post interesting information to the community.
frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Yes, I am a Wimp!

Post by frogandhat » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:00 am

Much as i enjoy playing the Fan Games, especially the DizzyAge ones, i find it quite annoying when i end up falling into a spider or raindrop AGAIN :cry: X)
In the original Dizzy, when you got the Hard Hat (I think) it would protect you against the apples, and actully 'kill' them for the future, and of course there were other 'weapons' for the other nasties.
Is it just me being a wimp, or can the DizzyAge engine not do this ?
(I know its not in the spirit of the games, but i did enjoy running around and killing all the birds, bats etc! :v2_dizzy_crazy :)

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Thread moved to General Discussion seeing as you're meant to post in the Fan Games section if you're either stuck on a Fangame or have a new Fangame for us ;)

I don't think I understand your question (sorry if I don't)
But I say the first Dizzy is as easy as pie once you get used to it and complete it several times, getting rid of the baddies along the way :v2_dizzy_confused2:

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:48 pm

yes the dizzyAGE engine can do this. you'd simply have a little thing in the collision detection for the apple (or spider, monster etc), that says 'if dizzy has the hard hat, then disable this object if he colides with it.'

the reason i haven't done that in any of my games is that like you say, it's not in the spirit of the games. plus it would make the games a lot easier!

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Mataeus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:03 pm

I too found it fun to do this in Dizzy: The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure but it was far more necessary to do it in that game as a lot of it seems to have been built around that mechanic. If you try to get the Ghost Laser without killing the bats for example, it's not impossible but can prove quite tricky, ie trickier than most of the 'dodge this' puzzles in later games. Same goes for the rain to the left of the mine and the rain at the Graveyard entrance. And they did continue it sometimes: The Power Pill to kill the ghosts in Magicland for example.

But yeah, I suppose it'd be a nice 'classic touch' for a DizzyAge game to include this. Especially if the object to destroy the obstacle was located way beyond the first encounter of it: This way, you have to have the skill of being able to get past it say 3 or 4 times but then you finally reach the object that lets you destroy it as a reward for your skill :) (Assuming of course that you didn't lose your lives along the way, but that's sort of the point in my suggestion. You don't deserve to be rewarded then!)

Anyway, I'm off to play some Dizzy Fan games now because they are great and I haven't gotten my teeth fully into a full on adventure yet, particularly trying to complete it. So here I go!

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 pm

Mataeus wrote:But yeah, I suppose it'd be a nice 'classic touch' for a DizzyAge game to include this. Especially if the object to destroy the obstacle was located way beyond the first encounter of it: This way, you have to have the skill of being able to get past it say 3 or 4 times but then you finally reach the object that lets you destroy it as a reward for your skill :) (Assuming of course that you didn't lose your lives along the way, but that's sort of the point in my suggestion. You don't deserve to be rewarded then!)
hmmmm interesting idea Mataeus.....

it could also work well with the scoring feature i'm going to try and implement as an option... :v2_dizzy_wink2:

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:56 am

i guess its another 'ingredient'

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Mataeus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Well, it's certainly an idea that I like the thought of. If you like it and can implement it in your game then go for it :v2_dizzy_walkman: