Bugs

Stuck or want to discuss the new version of prince of the yolkfolk, on iOS and Android Platforms
pteal79
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby pteal79 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 am

I also had a issue with the music playback on iOS, if i quit the app and reopen (with it still active in the task list) i lose the audio :(

Trikeboy
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Trikeboy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 am

The hanging animation can be useful if you are fast enough. Hit the arrow away from the way he is facing and instantly direction jump the direction of the platform and he will jump up.

PaulRanson
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby PaulRanson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi

It's Paul Here the guy who coded this version.

I've been lurking in your forums for weeks now. Thanks to all the support you have given to the game thus far.

Really sorry about bug busting the array in the iphone version imaged above.

I can honestly say it has never happened here. I think it may be down to the fact that you were able to get past the drawbridge. It seems that the bridge must have been nudged a pixel to the left on the iPhone and iPad version by accident.

This allows Dizzy to creep thru the collision detection area. I have moved it back to where it should be and re-subbed it to Apple. These guys are pretty slow at approving changes to the binaries, but I would hope it would be sorted by later on today.

FWIW the bug did not appear in the Android version.

I'll keep monitoring the forum for your feedback.

ATB

Paul

Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Dizzy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Many Thanks Paul for coming to the forum and addressing the issues.
Please so not feel that we are intentionally finding faults with this game.
I hope that you are not offended by comments made about the game on the forum.

Andrew.
:egg: Yolkfolk.com - The Dizzy Fansite :egg:

Lex_Hedley
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Lex_Hedley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 pm

iPad
I too have had the array issue.
6488034549_ec231bdb32_z.jpg

Respawn
6488034549_ec231bdb32_z.jpg

iPhone/iPad
If the game is interrupted the music doesn't return.

Missing Words
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6488029309_d92392c682_z.jpg
Where exactly did you GET this ACME ballon kit Dizzy?
Attachments
6488060677_dd9039a41c_z.jpg

ThomH
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby ThomH » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:43 pm

PaulRanson wrote:Really sorry about bug busting the array in the iphone version imaged above.

I can honestly say it has never happened here. I think it may be down to the fact that you were able to get past the drawbridge.

It's great that you guys are responding to these issues. I'm an iOS developer myself so I appreciate that you're not in a position to be able to push out updates as quickly as you might like. I actually once wrote the entire code for a Dizzy clone too, but that's not relevant.

The screenshots posted are from last night, when it was quite late and I was playing the game as a way to distract myself while I thought about another problem, so I'm sadly now not completely confident about the sequence of events. I was taking screenshots throughout since digitalspy said that you guys read these forums and I thought they'd be helpful; I'll check them out when I get back to that device to establish a strict sequence of events.

I think the only complete crash I encountered was very shortly after starting play, while doing a jump to the right somewhere in the vicinity of the lion. That kicked me back to the iOS launchpad. I'm not sure exactly where I jumped from and have been unable to recreate the problem. I wasn't jumping to try to get anywhere specifically, I just hadn't yet spotted that you've added acceleration to Dizzy (great move, by the way!) and am used to jumping around a lot as a slightly more interesting way to get from A to B.

I know that iTunes Connect aggregates them automatically but in my experience that can take a while so I'll see whether I can extract a crash report from my iPad manually and will post it if so.

The out-of-bounds array warning was likely the result of attempting to carry on from a corrupted saved game. I forget whether it was from the crash mentioned above or after becoming trapped outside with the princess by walking through the drawbridge. It might be nice to have some sort of validation and potential rollback on saved games? Prince of the Yolkfolk is so short as for the loss not to be dramatic but if you're planning to do Spellbound, Fantastic or Fantasy World then irretrievably losing play partway through is going to be a serious issue.

Device was an iPad 2 running the latest iOS if that helps any. I've also installed it on an iPad 1 (as I said, I develop iOS apps, so I have a lot of redundant devices) and will report if I spot anything odd there.

Additions on edit:
Dizzy wrote:Many Thanks Paul for coming to the forum and addressing the issues.
Please so not feel that we are intentionally finding faults with this game.
I hope that you are not offended by comments made about the game on the forum.

Andrew.

Absolutely the same goes for me. I'm a little frustrated because, as I say, this is one of the few titles I was actually excited about this year, but it's mostly all great. I'd probably allow the stars to be switched off and remove at least one tap in picking up an item — and ideally two — but I still expect to play this to conclusion several times and to enjoy it on each occasion. Oh, and the scaled up pixels on the very first Dizzy you see when loading aren't aligned properly, either at the top right of his eye or the bottom left of his body. But how long is that even on screen?

Part of me kind of wishes you'd priced it at £2.99 for nostalgia purposes.

pulsecode
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby pulsecode » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Nice to see the developer posting here :v2_dizzy_smile:

So, overall i'm happy with this remake.
It brought back some nice memories and i allways loved the theme tune in this game!

But ofcourse there are the slightly random bugs...
I was playing this on a 4th Gen iPod Touch by the way.

I didnt try and walk/jump through the drawbridge over on the left, so that issue never happened for me.
I did fall through the right side of the trap door under the doppleganger though. I got respawned back above and carried on, so it wasnt a disaster but it did catch me by surprise.

I also got stuck in the top left of the left most turret of the castle (with the doppleganger in it) and Dizzy spazzed out a bit before i pressed right to pop back in and drop down on to the moving platform.

The next thing isnt really a bug, more just something that seems to have been missed.
If i stand on the right side of the boat when it reaches the dock by the grim reaper, Dizzy gets knocked off in to the water (he kinda passes right through the boat). That seemed a little shoddy to me.

And i also get the weird hanging um...pose when jumping about in the forrest platforms.
I find if i jump and actually make a jump perfectly but am still holding the diagonal jump, Dizzy kind of poses in mid air (well, a few pixels off the ground) as if he is grabbing a platform... except i'm above the platform...

One thing i found made the game feel unfinnished for me was the fact it has no title screen...
It just felt weird being dumped straight in to the game. Felt even weirder after completing the game to be dumped right back to the intro again with no credits roll or indeed no title screen to break that up.

Same goes for the save slots that have absolutely no info... i kind of expected one to have a pic of Dizzy and a play time or completion percentage when i came back to it. It just looks like there are no saves in use as it is.

And finally i thought maybe the stars were a missed oppertunity. Clearly the faster you play the game the more star points will be left at the end (as they ticked down during the ending i was thinking "hey! i'm being robbed!" but it turned out the star points did absolutely nothing at the end...)
So i kind of expected them to be some kind of completion "score" or whatever.

Anyway, after all that it sounds like i didnt like the game!!
But i'm just pointing out what i feel are shortcommings and some bugs. And as i said at the start, overall i was happy with the result and i really hope this leads to some more remakes and more importantly, an all new Dizzy adventure :D

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:39 pm

umm all theses bugs really isn't going to win over new dizzy fans. Are all mobile games this buggy?
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Its always the cracked ones that let the light in [/font]

ThomH
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby ThomH » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Meph wrote:umm all theses bugs really isn't going to win over new dizzy fans. Are all mobile games this buggy?

The mobile market is quite a departure from the old rules. People expect to pay almost nothing and for new content to be provided for months or years after purchase. So, no, most games aren't this problematic at launch, but that's because the market has moved towards quick turnaround products of little value that get developed further only if they're a success.

With Dizzy they've launched at the requisite low price but with a large amount of content straight off the bat. So some problems are forgivable.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:20 am

ThomH wrote:I wasn't jumping to try to get anywhere specifically, I just hadn't yet spotted that you've added acceleration to Dizzy (great move, by the way!)

Hey, so that's one thing they kept from Dizzy the Adventurer! Dizzy the Adventurer also had that "Wait around for a hint" thing, but only at the very beginning.