Lost Temple Dizzy - Playtesters Wanted

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Queex
Hard Boiled Egg

Lost Temple Dizzy - Playtesters Wanted

Post by Queex » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

It should be functionally complete, now.

I think I may have made something of a beast.

What's in store:
6.5 MB download
130 rooms
5 music tracks
Hours of gameplay. (It took me 2 hours to grind through it from start to finish, and I knew how to solve all the puzzles!)

The ice walking isn't quite working how I want it yet, but it does not interfere with gameplay as it is, so I'm hoping to get some feedback.

If you want to get hold of the playtest version, it's here:

http://chthonic.150m.com/dizzy/Lost_Tem ... y_0.10.zip.

(Slightly newer version with some fixes in)

Let me know via pm or what have you if you intend to playtest it, and good luck!
- Lost Temple Dizzy -
- Iron Tower Dizzy -

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow - Theres been some big improvements since last time I played this :)

I love the cool fonts and the original music, its even got vocals
I also like the message scrolls - very informative

Cant see any obvious bugs so far.
Couple of q's:
- should what appears to be a film symbol appear in the top left corner when dizzy sails?
- For continuity - when sailing across the sea it appears to go from a day room to a sunset room then back to day - just feels a bit odd

All in all - this is turning out to be another great original game - Eggcellent!!
:v2_dizzy_clapping:
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Queex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Queex » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:30 pm

DizzyFanUK wrote:- should what appears to be a film symbol appear in the top left corner when dizzy sails?
I put it in for cut scenes, to show that control is taken away from the player, based on feedback from the demo.
- For continuity - when sailing across the sea it appears to go from a day room to a sunset room then back to day - just feels a bit odd
Pure laziness on my part. I'll put in a darker background eventually.
All in all - this is turning out to be another great original game - Eggcellent!!
Hope it continues to impress ;)
- Lost Temple Dizzy -
- Iron Tower Dizzy -

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

I second what DizzyFanUK says with the fonts, I like the music, pretty groovy. I liked the sunset screen too when travelling across, unexpected.

Does the playable demo stop when you sail across the other side as I cant seem to jump up the bank ?

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:10 pm

wow I didnt realise how big this game is!!!
And every room seems to have a puzzle or something to figure out - its really challengin but the most fun Ive had in a Dizzy game for ages!!!

Theres so much to explore and the booby traps are so well thought out.
this feels like a good old fashioned platform adventure game a cross between Treasure Island and Prince of Persia!!!

A couple of other suggestions:
- Is there a bug in broken wagon - when video mode starts, dizzy just keeps moving in direction he is facing until i guess that wagon stops - it would be good to know whats happening as it feels like a bug - is the video supposed to track the wagon instead?
- Sliding on ice seems to work nicely - note that you cant jump on the ice and cant seem to pick up th pearl in 'frozen gallery'
- Rocks in 'Light Shrine' seem to resemble a swastika?!?
- Is there a right/wrong order to use the scarab keys or is it ok just to open the first door i find?
- Are the pearls and other pickups just like coins or do different types have different uses?
- Is there some way to go in the big yellow pipe thing to get the blue key?

Not yet found a use for the crystal blooms but solved the air and mirror puzzles - great stuff!!!

Very well done - and youve got a blue background - it feels so much lighter :)
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 pm

wow! I haven't really had a chance to play it, and unfortunately won't have too much chance to play it in the near future (it's rare that I have time to actually play any fan games much these days), however I've had a quick look at the map (sorry!) and it is rather big! It also looks pretty nice too.

a couple of things:

- 'recently' is missing the R when grand dizzy talks.
- I'm still not a big fan of the 'washed' look of the scenerey (trees, ground etc), but I accept that i'm probably in a minority there.
- I really really think you should make the yolk boat bob up and down, as it would add a bit of 'life' to it. There is specific code for that in each of my games from WWD onwards, try in the 'customutils.gs' file in IID. :)
- I *really* like a lot of the custom-drawn tiles (the anchor, ships wheel, etc). I may even use one or two for my next classic game :p
- sad to say, but I'm not a fan of the custom font. I know others have said they like it, but I don't know. It could be just because it's different, or because you also mix it with the original font, or even because letters like the 'p' look uppercase when everything else is lowercase. Whatever, i'm not a fan of it, sorry.
- oh and i really like the intro screen too, very well done! :)

Anyway, best of luck with it, It looks very original! :v2_dizzy_clapping:

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Queex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Queex » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:10 am

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk wrote:Does the playable demo stop when you sail across the other side as I cant seem to jump up the bank ?
There's a way across- you might want to take a closer look at the tree.
DizzyFanUK wrote:- Is there a bug in broken wagon - when video mode starts, dizzy just keeps moving in direction he is facing until i guess that wagon stops
- it would be good to know whats happening as it feels like a bug - is the video supposed to track the wagon instead?
It's not meant to follow the wagon, but Dizzy is meant to stop and say something afterwards. I somehow managed to get Dizzy onto an odd x-position while checking that segment (which should be impossible) and put some extra code into the working version to try to stop that if it happens. Can you carry on playing from that point?
- Sliding on ice seems to work nicely - note that you cant jump on the ice and cant seem to pick up th pearl in 'frozen gallery'
As intended. :D
- Rocks in 'Light Shrine' seem to resemble a swastika?!?
It was meant to be more 'bendy' than that. I might move blocks around before release then.
- Is there a right/wrong order to use the scarab keys or is it ok just to open the first door i find?
All the scarab keys are interchangeable. You can tackle the shrines in whatever order you want.
- Are the pearls and other pickups just like coins or do different types have different uses?
Just different sorts of coins.
- Is there some way to go in the big yellow pipe thing to get the blue key?
Yes.
Not yet found a use for the crystal blooms but solved the air and mirror puzzles - great stuff!!!
You won't have to worry about the crystal blooms until quite near the end.
delta wrote:however I've had a quick look at the map (sorry!) and it is rather big!
I realised about 2/3rds of the way through that it was a beast. Didn't Spellbound only have 100 or so screens? I intend the next project to be much smaller, but I want to polish this one first.
- 'recently' is missing the R when grand dizzy talks.
Fixed in dev. Thanks.
- I'm still not a big fan of the 'washed' look of the scenerey (trees, ground etc), but I accept that i'm probably in a minority there.
I just wanted it to look a little different. I'm not much of an artist. Some of the other colour games in development look really lush. I might go back and up the contast between dark and light on some of the tiles and see if it looks any better.
- I really really think you should make the yolk boat bob up and down, as it would add a bit of 'life' to it. There is specific code for that in each of my games from WWD onwards, try in the 'customutils.gs' file in IID. :)
That sounds like an excellent idea, but I'm in horror as to how I'll then have to adjust the sailing across the bay code. I'll look into it.
- I *really* like a lot of the custom-drawn tiles (the anchor, ships wheel, etc). I may even use one or two for my next classic game :p
Fell free :v2_dizzy_tongue2: . I tried to give them the same sort of shading as the original graphics, so a little editing should make then white and transparent again.
- sad to say, but I'm not a fan of the custom font. I know others have said they like it, but I don't know. It could be just because it's different, or because you also mix it with the original font, or even because letters like the 'p' look uppercase when everything else is lowercase. Whatever, i'm not a fan of it, sorry.
It is a little wonky that way. It's kind of an occupational hazard of only having an 8x8 square to work in. I remember lots of Spectrum games had the same capital/small letter problems, which is probably why Dizzy and plenty of other games of the era used ALL CAPS. I just got a bit fed up with my own game shouting at me... :D
- oh and i really like the intro screen too, very well done! :)
Twenty minutes with a second-hand Wacom!
Anyway, best of luck with it, It looks very original! :v2_dizzy_clapping:
Thanks!
- Lost Temple Dizzy -
- Iron Tower Dizzy -

dr.Titus
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by dr.Titus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 am

It's correct 4-frames color water for your game:
http://rapidshare.com/files/327867416/1 ... 4.tga.html
Instead 148_water_3.tga

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 am

Queex wrote:That sounds like an excellent idea, but I'm in horror as to how I'll then have to adjust the sailing across the bay code.
you shouldn't have to. It's completely self-contained code. All you have to so is define O_TIMER in gamedef.gs, and place the line of code that calls the function into the room update. It shouldn't interfere with any other code.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:58 am

are these bugs?

- should the gap to key and switch in 'fire sanctum' be too narrow for dizzy to fall into?

- fatal error when actioning the inventory near the door in 'flashbacks of fire' -i took a screenshot of the error msg - pm me your email addy if you need it sent over
Attachments
bug.jpg
bug.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 1747 times