Lost Temple Dizzy - Playtesters Wanted

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Playtesting

Post by frogandhat » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Well, I have been playing this all day (version 0.9), and cant say i have seen any bugs, this is a CRACKIN' piece of work, one of the best fangames i have played. puzzles are varied and logical, and luckily plenty of food around to keep me healthy(ish!)
nice variations on the different areas, then having a 're-cap' afterwards.
i havent quite finished it yet, i just need the last scarab which i think is the one at the start where the rocks fall on me. :cry:

Well done, have had a great time exploring and solving :v2_dizzy_clapping:

addicteddizzy
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by addicteddizzy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 pm

This is a great game Queex, really original and I love the way the different sections lead out from the centre. Just one criticism from a playing point of view (I could never provide any technical advice!) some of the sections - the bit where the emergency escape switch is in the air shrine and the bottom of the shaft (where the spikes are) in the light shrine (sorry can't remember if that's the right name) are bloomin awkward to jump around on - to get up the shaft or onto the platform where the switch is - I was rolling around like a mad egg and it started to drive me a bit bonkers. Minor thought, great game, had loads of fun so far, just the water section to complete to get through the next door and whatever lies beyond! Can't wait for the official release and the help thread, think I will need it :v2_dizzy_tongue2:

addicteddizzy
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by addicteddizzy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Also, have just noticed a potential bug? There are a couple of items I have found whose properties (and description) can be changed, for example the "empty bucket" however when I fill the bucket it's description alters in my existing game but also in any other saved games as well however the property of the item does not (as I wouldn't expect).

So for example if I have not filled the bucket yet and save the game in slot 1 but then fill the bucket and save the game in slot 2 if I reload saved game 1 the bucket will show as full but will not do the action it is meant to do when actually full. Does this make sense? Hope so, it has just confused me somewhat with the other item I have found that I can alter because I don't know how I did it and I can't "go back" to a previous save and find out!!!!

Queex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Queex » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm

addicteddizzy wrote:Also, have just noticed a potential bug? There are a couple of items I have found whose properties (and description) can be changed, for example the "empty bucket" however when I fill the bucket it's description alters in my existing game but also in any other saved games as well however the property of the item does not (as I wouldn't expect).

So for example if I have not filled the bucket yet and save the game in slot 1 but then fill the bucket and save the game in slot 2 if I reload saved game 1 the bucket will show as full but will not do the action it is meant to do when actually full. Does this make sense? Hope so, it has just confused me somewhat with the other item I have found that I can alter because I don't know how I did it and I can't "go back" to a previous save and find out!!!!
Ah, that's interesting. I'd assumed that item names were saved as part of the game state, but it appears not.

I tried to write it so the logic will survive, it's just the display name that's erroneous. In the latter case, the name won't get changed because the trigger condition thinks it's already been changed.

I'll have to rethink those parts - I think I can crack it easily enough with an explicit check on loading a game, and making sure the item names are reset when a new game is started.

As for a workaround, if the status flag is set on the item you should be able to use where you have to, it just becomes rather more difficult to spot it amongst others.
- Lost Temple Dizzy -
- Iron Tower Dizzy -

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes your need to add code to the func LoadUserData( file ) in your game.gs

it will then check the status of specific items. i.e full/empty if you rename them ingame
here is the code out of VID that does this.
P.S. I use a separate file that holds the text in my games

Code: Select all

func LoadUserData( file )
{
	idx = ObjFind(4001);
	if(ObjGet(idx,O_STATUS)==0)
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4001), TXT_51 );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4001);
	if(ObjGet(idx,O_STATUS)==1)
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4001), TXT_ITEMA );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4006);
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4006), TXT_56 );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4006);
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4006), TXT_ITEMB );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4023);
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4023), TXT_72 );
	idx = ObjFind(4023);
	}
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4023), TXT_ITEMC );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4029);
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4029), TXT_78 );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4029);
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4029), TXT_78 );
	}
	idx = ObjFind(4029);
	if(ObjGet(idx,O_STATUS)==2)
	{
		ObjSetName( ObjFind(4029), TXT_ITEMD );
	}
		idx = ObjFind(5113);
		ObjSet(idx,O_STATUS,1);
	return 1;
}
ImageImageImage

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 pm

I used to code the change of item status and name like that (see DWD), but find it much easier these days to simply swap the item for another one, as it means you don't have to mess around with the name when loading saved games.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:51 pm

I think that the above problem also affects the botany where the name changes once you know what it is, but seems to revert back on saves ??

Queex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Queex » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah, the botany is another example of the same problem. It should still be possible to complete the game, but it will be confusing.

Oddly enough, I'd considered object swapping as another way of doing it but rejected it in favour of the 'more elegant' solution. I'll implement the reset-on-restart and check-on-load code in the next interim release, but I'll remember to swap objects instead in future games.
- Lost Temple Dizzy -
- Iron Tower Dizzy -

gavlaa
Hard Boiled Egg

Great game

Post by gavlaa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Fantastic game. :v2_dizzy_clapping: Reminds me a little of Dizzy the ultimate cartoon adventure. I've had no real issues with the game except for finally coming to a complete standstill. :v2_dizzy_confused2: Other than that I have five questions I would like you to answer (WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

1: Is there any way of getting past the rocks in the room Collapsed channel?

2: Is there anything to do in the room Small parts yard?

3: Is there any way of getting the scarub key in the room Danger falling rocks?

4: Is there anything to do in the room Rats nest?

5: Is there any way past the ice in the room Deep chill, or the ice block on the floor in the room Frozen gallery?

Thanks for making the game and if you want me to go through it again once complete, I'll be more than happy.

Gavlaa :tup:

Queex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Queex » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am

1: Is there any way of getting past the rocks in the room Collapsed channel?
No.

2: Is there anything to do in the room Small parts yard?
Only an item to pick up- which you probably have used already if you've done the fire shrine.

3: Is there any way of getting the scarub key in the room Danger falling rocks?
Yes.

4: Is there anything to do in the room Rats nest?
Yes.

5: Is there any way past the ice in the room Deep chill, or the ice block on the floor in the room Frozen gallery?
Yes, no.

Hope this helps.
- Lost Temple Dizzy -
- Iron Tower Dizzy -