Mystic Forest Dizzy v1.02 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Mystic Forest Dizzy v1.02 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post by delta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 am

Right, I know this may be a bit of a surprise to you all, but let me explain...

After I did Egyptian Tomb Dizzy, I decided that I couldn't have that as my last 'classic' game, as it was too different to the norm, and too... well, crap! So I decided to make a small game about the size of Magic Star Dizzy and enter this year's comp with it, spending almost a year to make it the best game I've done, and with the proviso that this game WILL (in all likelihood) be the last 'classic' Dizzy game I do (I've already said I'll finish the 'Legends' trilogy sometime in the future).

So... here is Mystic Forest Dizzy!

Mystic Forest Dizzy

Download the latest version (v1.02) from:

DizzyAGE website (v1.02)

Yolkfolk.com (v1.02)

The help thread is HERE

Donate

The game is free to download and share, however if you like it, please consider <a href="http://dizzystories.110mb.com/donate.php">donating</a>. :)

Story:

It's a beautiful sunny day, and Dizzy and the Yolkfolk are playing in the shallow water at the top of Alto Waterfall.

Suddenly Daisy gets too close to the edge while playing with Pogie the Fluffle, and is swept over! Dizzy dives after her, almost cracking his shell on rocks at the bottom, and is swept up on the shores of Lake Inferior, where a Lifeguard immediately declares the lake off-limits!

Wandering around, Dizzy finds himself in an unfamiliar and eerie forest, with no sign of Daisy, and no obvious way back.

Help Dizzy to make sense of his new surroundings, find Daisy, and get back home to sort that Fluffle out!

Game Notes

I've been working on this game since last May, and it was completable around about September last year. I've used the time since to polish it, and polish it, and add detail, and polish it some more, and add more detail, and yet more detail, etc etc, until I ended up with the game you see here.

There are so many many many options and easter eggs and little graphical touches in this game that I've almost lost track of them all. Some things you may never be aware of, or you'll only notice after days of playing it. Others you'll spot straight away. If you do spot something, let others know, so that they can see it too! :)

One thing I will say is that you should definitely check out all the menu options, as there are a lot. So many, in fact, that I had to give the 'music' options their own menu, as they no longer fitted into the 'options' menu! The game has a lot of things which are different to normal Dizzy games (the character tiles for example), however there are menu options to change virtually everything back to normal should you wish to.

Regarding items, you'll be pleased to hear that there is only 1 'red herring' item. There are a number of items that hide stars, however these generally have no other use. Some of the normal items can also be used elsewhere to gain points.

Finally a word on the game itself. It's not too big a map, but it's jam-packed full of puzzles. I said the map is the same size as Magic Star Dizzy (which was pretty packed itself!), and yet there's 50% more puzzles in Mystic Forest Dizzy than there was in Magic Star Dizzy. You'll find that some puzzles can only be solved at certain 'times', however if this really annoys or frustrates you, I can't really stop you from 'cheating' (all will become clear!).

Thanks

Many thanks go to Matt Cooper (Mataeus) for giving valuable feedback, and to 'Joe' for giving me the idea of cute Dizzy characters.

Version History:
v1.0 Released 29/04/2011 First public release.
v1.01 Released 30/04/2011 Room name fix, 'Previous Convo' with Blacksmith fixed.
v1.02 Released 01/05/2011 Room name fix, small spelling error corrected, wallet bug fixed.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 am

It's now up on Yolkfolk :)

http://www.yolkfolk.com/games/mystic-forest

Screenshots still to come.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 am

It's now available for download on both Dizzy Stories and Yolkfolk.com :) (I have to piggyback on yolkfolk.com for the download because it's too big to upload to Dizzy Stories!)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:47 am

Sounds really good Jamie. Looks like I'll have to put my 'image' lifting on hold and get down to some serious gaming. Err, just two points. How will we know if spotting something is a secret something or just normal? and why is it always poor little Daisy who has to be the fall guy(sorry about the pun).

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am

I never said there was 'secrets', just that there are a lot of little graphical touches, some of which are easier to spot than others ;)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 am

OK then Jamie, I suppose I'll get the gist of it when I start playing - having just downloaded the game, so I'll log off now and get going ...cos no way am I interested in watching a wedding.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

I think I've just found one of your 'graphical touches'. If you are holding the juggling balls and open the inventory dialog and leave it open for 30 seconds then Dizzy is juggling with the balls when you close it. Only discovered that cos I left the inventory open while I went to pour myself a cup of tea. Other than that, not doing too well as only have 140 points, 8 stars (and one life left). You didn't mention that you couldn't automatically save a game. Luckily I've found someone who can give me a 'save scroll' ...when I find something that can help get him what he wants - but thoroughly enjoying the game.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:45 am

Grandad wrote:If you are holding the juggling balls and open the inventory dialog and leave it open for 30 seconds then Dizzy is juggling with the balls when you close it.
It's a bit longer than 30 seconds.

Doesn't just happen at that point either :) it's basically when you leave the game unpaused for a length of time.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:33 pm

:v2_dizzy_jawdrop:
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Congratulations for your game!

A very welcome surprise, especially since we were kinda low on entries.
Now we are low on prizes :p But for this there is still time.

There is very little time for late entries, in case anyone has more surprises.
I wish everyone good luck.Voting will end on 1st July, so we have 2 months of playing and choosing winners.

Alex