Don't Panic Dizzy! [PROGRESS THREAD]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Nowhere Girl,

I've no idea when the game will be ready - it's very much a long term project. Not in time for the Easter competition, that's for sure. At the moment, I've got maybe 20 playable 'rooms' - it's a scrolling game so there aren't rooms as such - but that's the size of the map so far.

And speaking of scrolling, can anyone help me out with this problem?

http://www.yolkfolk.com/bb/showthread.p ... #post26855

I don't want to post many screenshots because the the graphics aren't complete in most places but, since you asked, here's a picture of Dizzy being sucked out of an airlock:

Nowhere Girl
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Nowhere Girl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Anyway, you sure can enter your first game in the competition. and I think you have very good chances...
Btw - but it's still rather secret ;) - I also have some ideas for a game. However, in my case it will be yet more difficult because I will have to start from scratch - at this point I have absolutely no idea about programming.

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi folks,

Just to let you know how the game's coming along: I reckon it's about 20% complete now. The first dozen or so puzzles are done, along with a lot of the graphics. In the game, you'll be able to play as all the different yolkfolk, except Dozy of course, and also Dylan, who'll need rescuing from something. I've done the coding for the switch between the different characters now, as well as most of the game mechanics.

The game feels a little different to other DizzyAGE games. I've got it scrolling more smoothly than the defaults allow - that was kind of important as there's a lot of repeating patterns in the graphics which tend to strobe and jerk when dizzy moves. The result is that the game physics are a little different: Dizzy jumps and falls a bit faster than usual, and rolls a bit less.

To do next is a fairly complicated two-part puzzle. After that, I'll have to plan out the middle of the game properly - I've got loads of ideas, but no idea how they'll all fit together.

Anyway, here's a few more screenshots:

Daisy in the foliage:

Dizzy fights a security droid

YOLKFOLK IN SPACE!

PS. Nowhere Girl, have you made a start on your game yet?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Looks like we could be in for another huge game here. (file size wise :p )

But seriously, like I said before the screenshots look really good. :)

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Looks awesome
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Nowhere Girl
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Nowhere Girl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 am

Noggin - not yet, I'll have to learn coding from scratch (at the moment I know simply nothing about it, my only experience with programming was years ago with an old program at school) and I also have other things to do, such as work... It's a pity, last year I was hoping to learn it for this year's competition...

Anyway, the graphics are just wowey zowey, as Putt-Putt (from the children's games) says. ;) Especially the screen with Daisy among the branches.

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 pm

If you want a tip on how to get started, when I first downloaded DizzyAGE, I made a map out of bricks just to try out different puzzles. So I started with a door and as I learnt more, I had more ideas for new puzzles.

Snow Queen came from a puzzle idea where you had some snow made from cloud material. When you picked up some snow shoes, the game changed the snow from CLOUD to BLOCK and when you dropped them it changed it back again.

It's probably easier to do it that way round than having ideas and trying to work out how to do them. Anyway, hope you give it a go. :)

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Another update for you. The game's about 40% complete now I think.

Things done this month:

I've done the title screen and intro sequence.

I've added the coins (power cells) counter to the hud. There's an option to change its appearence - you can see it on the screenshots below.

The Grand-Dizzy section is all but finished.

That complex puzzle I mentioned before is done. That one was a real :hitwall: It ended up needing some 1400 lines of code!

Title Screen

Grand-Dizzy stuck in the bowels

Captain Dizzy?

Can I also take the chance to thank Steve Rennie for the bit of code he flagged up for me. The one for making two objects collide? I've used it a lot so far and will be using it again and again I'm sure. The possibilities are endless...

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Very rarely, a Dizzy game comes along that breaks the mould and sets a new standard for what DizzyAge can do

Im very excited about this one

Keep up the ground breaking work Noggin

Great Stuff :)
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 am

Cheers Noggin, but thanks should go to Jamie Douglas (Delta) who devised it in the first place. I agree with you, it really is a superb little 'utility' that has endless possibilities.

Nowhere Girl, have you checked out Jamie's videos on this site that explain the basics of most typical puzzles in a really user friendly way? I knew nothing about programming when I first started and found them really helpful in getting to grips with the coding.