Magic Maniax 5 v1.5 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Magic Maniax 5 v1.5 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post by Adz.M » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:40 pm

OK, I know some of you are gonna be saying "Oh god, he hasn't made another one has he?" :p

Well yeah, BUT, This is the first time I've done a game where I use a Platform Engine made by David Newton.
The engine does have some minor flaws but at least it fixes the sticking to walls and ceilings bug that curses my past games, and other TGF Dizzy fangames before me.

Sorry to clash with the Voting stage of this year's Easter Competition, I just wanted to get this out of the way seeing that tomorrow (17th June) will have been 10 years ago when I first joined this Community. :)

:egg: Download via Yolkfolk.com (v1.5)

Non-Windows users may need to download Wine to get the game to work - http://www.winehq.org/

Story:
The Yolkfolk have a party in Keldor Forest.

Unknown to them, the evil Wizard Zaks is watching them from his Cloud Castle.

To get Dizzy's attention, he fires a spell somewhere down into the mountains.
The explosion in the mountains gets Dizzy's attention, he goes off to find Theodore....

Controls:
- MAIN MENU/OPTIONS CONTROLS
ARROW KEYS UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT
ENTER - Confirm Option

- INGAME CONTROLS
LEFT and RIGHT Arrows - Walk
RIGHT CTRL - Jump

- ADDITIONAL CONTROLS (Underwater stages only)
ARROW KEYS LEFT, RIGHT, UP AND DOWN - Swim

The ingame controls can be changed by pressing F5 anytime during the game.

ENTER - Pause/Unpause game
ESCAPE - Quits to Main Menu during gameplay.

F2 - Resets game
F5 - Redefine Keys

Passwords:
This game uses a brand new password system which can only be acessed via the game's Main Menu option.
You will find passwords for each zone after every boss fight.

How to play:
The first level of the game acts as a tutorial, read the scrolls found in the game to get to grips with how the game works.

Known bugs:
- Before you run this game, make sure you don't have any other Programs running in the background.
One of the open Programs could appear blocking the game from view.

- There are problems where the scrolling appears wavey/wobbily in the game, the issue is heavily visable on a few levels.

- Even though David Newton's Platform Engine sucessfully fixes the issues with sticking to walls and ceilings.
I cannot seem to find any way of getting Dizzy to stay on vertical lifts, walking diagonally and climb up and down on ladders.

- You may find yourself having to jump over boulders as Dizzy cannot simply cannot walk over them.
Again, It's a major problem with David Newton's Platform Engine.

- Dizzy can bounce off walls in the underwater levels. (Those levels do not use the Platform engine)

If you are able to help me with the mentioned bugs, please let me know by contacting me.
You will have your name mentioned in the game's Credits.
(There could be more bugs in the game that I haven't mentioned here.)

Shout outs to:
- Everybody in the Dizzy Community
- The Retro Asylum team (http://retroasylum.com)

Hope you guys enjoy it. :)

Dizzy9
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Dizzy9 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 pm

I really like this game!
I was really though to get through underwater level...can't you use exprience you have gained while reading about Newton engine? The way of solving it should be similiar, make 4 colliders for up, down, left and right. When one of colliders touch background, deny player from moving in that way.
Also, there's a nice shortcut in night time's forest.(The one with troll and loooong pit with spikes in it). You can jump above the troll and skip almost entire sequence there. Was it intentional?
One more question-Do you plan to upgrade previous your Magic maniax games with newton engine? I would play them, but I gave up after being stuck in the wall forever for third time.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Dizzy9 wrote:can't you use exprience you have gained while reading about Newton engine? The way of solving it should be similiar, make 4 colliders for up, down, left and right. When one of colliders touch background, deny player from moving in that way.
The thing with me is I have certain learning difficulties. Especially with something as complex as Newton's engine.

Although I did experiment at one point with vertical platforms, I can get the lifts to go up and down no problem, but Dizzy always falls through the vertical lifts, and I wasn't sure what to do at that point.

Normally with ladders you can set backdrops to act as ladders like I did with my past games, but that doesn't work on the engine either, something I don't understand there.
Dizzy9 wrote:Also, there's a nice shortcut in night time's forest.(The one with troll and loooong pit with spikes in it). You can jump above the troll and skip almost entire sequence there. Was it intentional?

No it wasn't, I know where abouts in the stage you're on about. Seems I didn't test Dizzy's jump on that bit. (oops) :v2_dizzy_tongue:
Dizzy9 wrote:One more question-Do you plan to upgrade previous your Magic maniax games with newton engine? I would play them, but I gave up after being stuck in the wall forever for third time.
If I can find any way of getting the vertical lifts, the ladders and getting Dizzy to walk on diagonal platforms to work perfectly, then maybe.

But right now I can't really promise anything regarding the past Magic Maniax games. :(

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:17 am

Just finished this. Pretty good. :tup: Although the parts where you need to go back to collect something could get very infuriating when I would lose in a later screen and have to do them again and again and again... :hitwall: Case in point, the last level. After having done the first screen who knows how many times just to fail in a later screen X) I was starting to not even want to try because it would mean having to redo the first screen again. :O You wouldn't believe how elated I was when I found that cache of lives in the eyes screen. :laugh: Not because it meant I was going to be able to win but because it meant I wouldn't have to play that first screen again. Just to see the "for the real ending" line. :devil: While I'm pretty sure I could do it eventually I just can't play that first screen again at this time. :say_no:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 pm

v1.1 is now up. :)

Plus, I've added a new link onto the game's page, I'll leave you to find it yourself. ;)

What's new:
:egg: The font on the Main menu screen has been altered.
:egg: The puff of smoke animation that appears throughout the whole game has been altered.
:egg: The forest background that appears on Zone 2 - Part 4 and Zone 3 - Parts 1, 2 and 3 has been changed.
:egg: A small layout change in Zone 3 - Part 4.
:egg: The animation for the Zone 3 Boss has been altered slightly.
:egg: Fixed issues with exiting to the center doorways in Zone 4 - Part 3.
:egg: The falling boulders in Zone 5 - Part 1 now fall quicker.
:egg: Tweaked cutscene before the Zone 5 Boss.
:egg: A blue Diamond now greets you at the beginning of Zone 6.
:egg: Fixed problems with the spikes in Zone 6 - Part 2. Once you've touched the mushroom, the stage no longer restarts when you fall into the spikes.
:egg: Made major alterations to the Zone 7 Boss as I rushed it the first time round. Still buggy in some parts.

Lastly, I want to show off a section of the game where It's password appears on the bad ending credits screen. See if you recognise any familiar names from or outside the Dizzy Community.

Here's the password.
- DIZZY, DORA, DANNY, GRAND-DIZZY.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm

v1.2 now up.

:egg: Fixed major bug that makes Zone 5 Boss unbeatable.
:egg: Mountain Backdrops replaced.
:egg: Added colour to Zone 1 - Part 5, Zone 1 Boss and Zone 2 - Part 1.
:egg: Pixel tweaks to shark sprites.
:egg: Spinny Head sound effect replaced.
:egg: More tweaks to the falling boulders in Zone 5 - Part 1.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:15 pm

v1.3 now up. :)

CHANGES MADE ON v1.3:
- Upgraded to Clickteam Fusion 2.5.

- SFX and Ambient Sounds now in .ogg format.

- Most of the ingame music now plays in a loop in .ogg format, hence why the game's zip file is slightly bigger. (Oops!)

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Re: Magic Maniax 5 v1.5 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post by Adz.M » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:04 am

v1.5 now up.

This update is part of a series of updates to my games in regards to their keyboard control settings.

The new controls are as follows:
- MAIN MENU/OPTIONS CONTROLS
ARROW KEYS UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT
ENTER - Confirm Option

- INGAME CONTROLS
LEFT and RIGHT Arrows - Walk
RIGHT CTRL - Jump

- ADDITIONAL CONTROLS (Underwater stages only)
ARROW KEYS LEFT, RIGHT, UP AND DOWN - Swim

The ingame controls can be changed by pressing F5 anytime during the game.

ENTER - Pause/Unpause game
ESCAPE - Quits to Main Menu during gameplay.

F2 - Resets game
F5 - Redefine Keys