Almost Spellbound Dizzy v1.02 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Almost Spellbound Dizzy v1.02 [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post by Grandad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 am

Having looked at Peter's main coding for his remake of Spellbound Dizzy and not really understanding it I thought I'd have a go at making my own version. I've never played the 'original' speccy version but have played the Amiga version so used that as the basis. I downsized the graphics and 'borrowed' the original Allister Brimble music and created the map ...then decided that it might be more fun if I altered it a bit so that it wasn't an exact remake and then changed some of the puzzles (and added a few). Also, as is hinted in the first 'scroll' there is an Acme bridge building kit in a hidden room for those of us who got really fed up with continually jumping up and down on the trampette to get a rock or two.

Thanks to 'Dizzy' I uploaded it to the yolkfolk server, so when somebody gets the time the game will be published.

As this game is not my usual type of game I'd appreciate any feedback (good or bad) and obviously look forward to SnTrooper finding the inevitable cock up in the coding :v2_dizzy_yahoo:

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:01 pm

It's always cool to revisit classic maps or locations and doing something different with them.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Well done Grandad! It is always fun to play new puzzles on the old maps. I shall look forward to having a go at this.

Did you code the falling boulders in the mine shaft? If so, can I nick your code? I've been trying to get them to fall how they do in the original version but (on account of my lack of skill) I just can't get them dropping right!

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 am

Sorry Pogie, but for the falling rocks I created a large animated tile rather than code individual rocks cos I'm lazy. I'll post the 'proper' falling code on the DizzyAge help topic which should help.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:00 am

AdzM, You just need to press the arrow keys when on top of a mushroom (same as when on top of the trampette). I did it that way so that you don't automatically jump if you land on one ...especially as for some of them you need to stand slightly off centre to be able to reach the right spot and if the jump was automatic you had no way to reposition Dizzy.

chlodnik229
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by chlodnik229 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:24 pm

How open the safe?

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:46 pm

...with the cunningly hidden safe combination :v2_dizzy_confused2:

Sparkles 49
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Sparkles 49 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi Grandad, I think I've found an error. I've been searching everywhere for the secret room with the Acme bridge and in the screen 'Somewhere Nearly Nice', I jumped left towards the wall and fell through and kept on falling in blackness. I did hope I'd find the bridge at the end but no luck (any chance you could give me a hint on where to find it?).

Other than this I'm really enjoying the game and love all the colours you've put in. Well done, especially for having a go and providing us all with a version of Spellbound Dizzy.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Grandad wrote:AdzM, You just need to press the arrow keys when on top of a mushroom (same as when on top of the trampette). I did it that way so that you don't automatically jump if you land on one ...especially as for some of them you need to stand slightly off centre to be able to reach the right spot and if the jump was automatic you had no way to reposition Dizzy.
Strange, that now works. First time I started playing this, I couldn't get the Up Arrow to work properly on the mushrooms at all. :v2_dizzy_confused2: