Modern games similar to Dizzy?

Its not all Dizzy out there.
VirgieAguirre
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by VirgieAguirre » Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 am

I had a chance to play Spud's Quest once, really enjoyable game, I should say!
Looks similar to Dizzy.

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by boo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 am

just looked up Spuds Quest, going to have to get my hands on that one for sure
I fully intend to...OOOH! Shiny things! :v2_dizzy_eek:

quiggie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by quiggie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

i really enjoyed playing Spuds Quest and recommend it for a play :v2_dizzy_clapping:
Hard work has a future payoff. Lazyness pays off NOW.

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 pm

WhyNotSmile wrote:I was wondering, has anyone come across any newer games that are similar to Dizzy - i.e. you walk around a landscape, picking things up, and using them to solve puzzles? I can't think of any, but I'm not all that into newer games.

It seems odd if there aren't!
I know they are not platformers, but you can't go wrong with Zelda games. They have a lot of Dizzy elements, ie puzzle solving, item using etc. Some of them actually do have platform parts in them but its only minor, with the exception of Zelda 2 on the NES but thats quite different to the rest of the Zelda games.

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by geekgirl101 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:18 am

Only just noticed this topic, and yeah ok it's 2 years old, but comparing Zelda to Dizzy is like comparing Mario to Tetris. Zelda is in a league of its own.

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyG » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:08 am

It's a strange coincidence you mention Zelda now because I've just finished the first section of my Link to the Past Dizzy game :D . Based on surely the greatest game ever. I'm debating whether I can in good conscience lift the victory jingle for my game: it's so beautiful, it seems almost sacrilege..

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyG » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:14 am

...but back to the topic, maybe Super Metroid better fits the description? More about upgrades than using items I guess, but there's definitely a puzzle element. I remember being just over the moon when I worked out you have to use your ice beam upgrade to freeze one particular enemy and create a platform. And it's a platform game, of course.. But yeah, I've always found it weird there aren't more games just like Dizzy. I'd love a Monkey Island platformer, for example.

Oh, also: I misread Spud's Quest as Spanky's Quest. Did anyone play that on the SNES? It's a lovely little platform puzzler

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by boo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:01 pm

I finally got around to playing Spuds Quest on Steam. Great game, just as addictive as the Dizzy games. About half way through at the minute, just can't get past the Snow Termple stage (yetis keep on killing me)
I fully intend to...OOOH! Shiny things! :v2_dizzy_eek:

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:30 am

Spud's Quest is currently on sale for 80% off on Steam. Mystik Belle 25% off.

Gary S
Free Range Egg

Post by Gary S » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:07 am

They should revive Dizzy. It's a great format which has tonnes of potential. My only worry is they'll try to "modernise" the gameplay and mess it up, like they did with some of those terrible 3D Sonic games.