Simon the sorcerer

Its not all Dizzy out there.
Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Simon the sorcerer

Postby Meph » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Okay,, im not like all you young wipper snappers when it comes to gameing..
Any other Simon fans?

Second the the Dizzy series Simon is one of my favs, highly amusing, tons of references and pretty tricky at times,

for those who don't know its one of those 'point and click' games.. with loads of puzzles.. the first were quite popular in there day.

Anyway they doing a 4th one.. which has been out in Germany but were still waiting for the uk release.. they have gone back the the point and click formant with just using 3D elements for speaking to other characters which sounds great.. The 3rd one was all 3D they even added in some 'action' style puzzles which upset the diehard fans.. so there gone back to basics..

which is why i always say there is room for a traditional Dizzy games.. and that it doesn't always have to be high tech special 3d effects.. in fact if they did do another dizzy.. much like Simon 4 it could gave 3d elements along side the classic style of game play (but with quality fan games who needs the real thing huh?)

Anyway.. Simon fans raise your hands..
even The Feeble files was fun but highly frustrating..

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:29 pm

I own the first and 2nd Simon the Sourcerer for the PC, I completed the first one but didn't give the second one a proper try.

Mayboy
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mayboy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 am

I have all of these games. The first and second i have completed, the third i bought but haven't really played it much (some of the magic died)

Although there is a forth game coming out next year made by fans of the series. It has been out for a few months in German but an English version has been in the works for a while now and will be ready for a March/April 2008 release.
http://www.yolkfolk.com

The place for Dizzy fans!

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby xelanoimis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 pm

I love Simon games too :)
Really good and funny adventures (first two).
I'm waiting to play the 4th when it comes out in english.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:06 pm

i enjoyed the 3rd one despite the crappy graphics..

kinda surprised to read earlier in the year they were making a 4th one.. i mean we needed to finished off the story.. you couldn't leave Simon 3 hanging like that..

i even have the pinball and puzzle pack... lol

Mayboy
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mayboy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 am

Meph wrote:i enjoyed the 3rd one despite the crappy graphics..

kinda surprised to read earlier in the year they were making a 4th one.. i mean we needed to finished off the story.. you couldn't leave Simon 3 hanging like that..

i even have the pinball and puzzle pack... lol

I don't even know if the forth will finish off the story. I know that everyone was dissapointed with Simon the Sorcerer 3D so maybe they have decided to leave it and start something new.

English website is here -

http://www.simon-the-sorcerer.com/en/

Which says: -

Does the plot continue the story of the previous games?

"Simon the Sorcerer - Chaos happens" is a direct sequel to the previous games and there are no inconsistencies in the story as a whole. Yet, fans of the first three games should be patient the allusions to the earlier games will not reveal themselves right from the start."
http://www.yolkfolk.com

The place for Dizzy fans!

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah its going to continue.. it may not finish the story thats what part 5 is for..lol
it was the poor graphics and 'action' bit in 3D that bugged everyone.
i quite enjoy it.. i dunno if most people gave it a chance.. but i wasn't keen on the action bits myself.. its not really why i play Simon games and i think most fans felt the same way.. but everything else about it was fine.. the story, the jokes, the puzzles and surrounds...

so this new ones should be pretty good,.. i wanna catch that dam clone and kick his ass..

Even if they have changed the whole story I'm not to fussed.. its still the same game i guess.

The worse thing about 3 was they changed the voice of Swampy,, that kinds ruined it alittle.

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mataeus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:27 pm

[color="Green"]Simon rocks! Yeah, I love the first two. I didn't even know they MADE a third, let alone a fourth! I completed the first one aeons ago when I borrowed my friends Amiga (I only had the '64 back then) and, coincidentally, have been going through it again. I managed to find it on a....ahem... "Abandonware" site, a French one. All the English sites have it listed as ESA Protected (Like they do the Monkey Island games) but this French site had the first two, in English, available for download. Although they had the CD rip of the second games, with all the speech and stuff, I got the floppy version 'cos I have a very particular idea of Simon in my head and I didn't want the speech to spoil it for me....

On the subject of games going 3D: Although I was slightly unimpressed by the last two Broken Sword games ("Hey! We've made it 3D! Let's remove all the puzzle related gameplay and replace it with Block-Pushing Human Tetris!") I was very impressed by Monkey Island 4. The graphics were great running in full spec, the humour was brilliant, the puzzles were REAL, the characters and situations were memorable... It was a really, really great adventure with oodles of charm, humour and brilliance. So, it can be done... I mean, I'm enjoying Dreamfall at the minute (having only just played through the original Longest Journey for the first time recently. Great game!) I'm anjoying Dreamfall, it's just that..... That too seems to have taken a more action approach. It doesn't have to be that way![/color]

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:40 pm

The Pc versions of Simon was what i discovered a couple of years ago.. never had them on my C64 or anything.. the speech is great.. some geezer from 'Red Dwarf' does it.. :v2_dizzy_clapping:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:53 am

Yeah, that was Chris Barrie, if only he did the voice on the sequels :laugh: