FILMS

Anything that doesnt fit anywhere. Off topic and so on...
Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 pm

lol yes i remember recently Duncan Jones giving Avatar a real slating about those floating mountains. not sure what it was all about.

I did watch Elf over Christmas on tv.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Its always the cracked ones that let the light in [/font]

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby DizzyFanUK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:13 pm

I saw Sherlock Holmes today - I loved it, again the missus wasnt too impressed.
It felt a bit like a cross between CSI and LXG (would be fun to see this version of Holmes team up with Nemo, Dorian Gray, Jekyll et al). Its one of those films which feels like the plot was very hollywoodised but is still one of the most enjoyable films Ive seen in 2009.
RDJ was very good I thought and Jude Law was too, tho I felt he was at times a poor mans Ewan McGregor.

One thing I noticed - and it might just be my local cinema, but the picture was often very dark and even felt monchrome in places - not sure whether this was intended as part of the movie or just that the cinema need to adjust their contrast settings?
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Colin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:22 pm

should be going to see sherlock holmes on monday!
ImageImageImage

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Rant: What is the point of 3D

Postby DizzyFanUK » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:50 am

Rant warning! :v2_dizzy_frown:

I was quite excited at this new 3D phenom when it first arrived at my local cinema in Bas-Vegas. Ive now seen my 3rd 3D film there (Piranha - no benefit in the 3D what so ever, Clash of the Titans - truly awful in 3D, Avatar - 3D was better than the other 2, but didnt anyway near blow me away) and I can safely say that i'd probably enjoyed them all better or as much in 2D.

In the Imax in London - 3D films were an immersive experience as the screen filled the whole area of vision and things actually popped out into your face. That was great for things like the documentary about standing on the Moon or virtual safaris, but its never worked for me on a hollywood movie.

In my local cinema the screen is much smaller than an Imax, and it seems like the 3D stays in the picture, giving it depth not popping out at you.

The final straw came with Piranha - When I pay to see a movie full of boobies and blood in 3D, I dont expect those things to appear more distant in the picture than if I saw it in 2D!!

Im left wondering if i will ever bother to see another 3d film again.

End of rant!

btw, Inception is bloody good - probably even better than Shutter Island
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby frogandhat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:55 am

I have only seen Avatar in 3D (I dont go to the cinema much, as I must be developing ADD, I find it unusual for a film to hold my attention for the full 90 mins, or maybe thats a reflection on the quality of todays films) and I did think that the 3D effect was effective on that film and made it look even prettier than it would in 2D. However, for me, if it had just been in 2D, I think I would have fallen asleep because I thought that as a spectacle is was good, as a film it wasnt! A very thin plot weve seen hundreds of times before.
So I think that 3D can add to a film, if done well, but that it could also detract from a film as you may just be looking at the pretty pictures and not paying attention to the plot. Having said that, it seems to be currently being used as a gimmick to bolster relatively mediocre films.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Just watched 'Mary and Max'
One of the best films i've seen for a while.. i shall now consider it one of my all time favorites.

It's an Australian, claymation that pretty much nobody has heard of or seen but one of the most emotional films I've seen for a long time. However while it's not all sunshine and rainbows and it's kinda sluggish it's not eveyones cup of coffee. :v2_dizzy_cry:

Lex_Hedley
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Lex_Hedley » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 am

Looks really interesting, just watched the trailer and chuckled at the part where he took the chair home because there was a sign saying "Please take a seat" :dizzy_smile:

http://www.maryandmax.com/

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:35 pm

lol yeah it's got pockets of humor but it's a really sad tale.
it's not for everyone, people might find it slow places and sluggish.. or even depressing but those people are really missing out.

It's kinda like Nick Park and Am?lie but with sadness.

Lex_Hedley
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Lex_Hedley » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 pm

He does look to be sad in places but I'm intrigued, it's been ordered from Play so I'll let you know what I think when it arrives and I've had a watch.
Thanks for the initial post, I do like finding new things :)

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:20 pm

:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:
I wont spoil it then.