What's the highest score??

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
ClientFan
Hard Boiled Egg

What's the highest score??

Post by ClientFan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:16 pm

...achievable without 'cheating'??

I just painstakingly went through TUAC again on my Amstrad emulator, and finished with 85,600. Blessedly, dying doesn't lose you any points in TUAC!!! This was achieved purely through 'entering' every legitimate room (including The Waiting Room, after knacking Zaks), and killing every 'killable' in sight (OMG not only does the hard hat kill the stalactites, it also kills their icy counterparts!!!)

Is it possible to achieve a higher score without playing 'conventionally'?? :v2_dizzy_cheers:

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Hmm, I like finding maximum and minimum scores, but I tend to fail to write down any, so I may have to go back and check. I know the possible scores can vary with which system you play on--first thing that comes to mind is the Commodore 64 port has twice as many raindrops.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:26 am

Hah, silly me, I already had a WinAPE savestate at the end of the game. I had 85600 right before I used the potion on Zaks--but it turned out I hadn't visited The Waiting Room at that point, which gave me another 1000 points for a final total of 86600!

Touring the game again, I saw 3 unreachable spiders, 1 unreachable raindrop, 1 unreachable bat, and 1 unreachable extra life.

I was also trying to play this "glitch-free", so I don't know where I would have gone that you missed. I know there are a few blank "sky" screens that are easy to miss, one to the left of the gardener's spade, and a couple more over the mountain. I think you actually had to find another one of these to get the cloud's silver lining, correct?

And there are some points you have to die to get, like I must have put off visiting The Waiting Room because you have to die on the skeleton to get out after falling in, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one stalactite you have to jump into water to destroy. ...Unless you can use the dry ice there, which I haven't gotten around to trying on horizontal pools of water yet...

I can make the score even higher if I use the glitch described in this topic, but I hadn't planned out re-collecting all those objects and dumping them over the skeleton yet. I wonder why that skeleton works like that...?

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Mon May 16, 2011 4:09 am

I just remembered another scoring anomaly in the Commodore 64 version which I investigated some more tonight. You know the "Haunted Chimney" area with the ghost that floats up and down, guarding the moving platform underneath until you kill it with a ghost-hunter's laser? Normally I do that by making Dizzy carry the laser and fall in right on top of the ghost, but in a video I saw of one of the other versions, the player jumped over the lift-shaft and dropped the laser down onto the ghost to kill it--an enemy bumping into its weakness object is meant to be equivalent to bumping into Dizzy carrying that object, you see. (Update: It appears this feature doesn't work at all on Commodore 64, except for the one exception I explain in the next paragraph.)

Now, the Commodore 64 port isn't supposed to let you drop objects in mid-air, so I noticed what they did to make up for that here was program a spot at the top of the chimney where if you drop the laser, Dizzy will automatically pitch it over to where it will fall on the ghost and earn 500 points. But if I make Dizzy walk into the ghost instead, I earn 900 points and keep the laser in my possession. Then if I float back up and drop the laser at the top of the shaft, it gives me 500 more points, and the laser finally disappears! :v2_dizzy_blink: So that's a whole 900 extra points for doing things a different strange way.