Monochrome green or colour?

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Monochrome green or colour?

Post by Stephen Parry » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Dizzy - The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure is my favourite Dizzy game and I played it on the Amstrad back when it was released.

Now, we didn't have a colour Amstrad, we had the monochrome green screen. And I have to say - although there were some games that would have been great in colour, for me the monochrome green colour suited the tone of the first Dizzy game.

I bought other Dizzy games for the Amstrad and, of course, they were monochrome green, too. My first experience of playing a Dizzy game in colour was Treasure Island Dizzy for the NES and, although I enjoyed playing it in colour, there's just something about the monochrome green that appealed to me.

I can't put my finger on why that is. The first Dizzy game, much like some that followed, were fun, but they were bleak in a certain sense with Dizzy alone against the Evil Wizard Zaks. Somehow, playing the games in green felt - and still feels - right. It's just the way I feel.

Anyone have any views on this?

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 pm

i played most dizzy games on the green Amstrad.
The guess with the first one it's not as visual, Dizzy is pretty much all alone and the tone of it is much darker and less cartoon/fairytale like than the others.. at least thats how i felt about the same as a kid.

I don't think the green works well with the other games.

One of my favorite things in the Dizzy series is that opening screen with Dizzy looking at the castle in the distance.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Post by Stephen Parry » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:53 am

Yes, I like the opening screen with Dizzy looking at the castle. Such a charming and wonderful game, eh?

It used to take about six minutes to load, didn't it? It's a topic for another time, but those young folk out there probably can't appreciate how different gaming was back then with several minutes loading time, only a few lives in some games, no memory cards, etc.

Oh, and the music in the first Dizzy game is brilliant. It's stayed with me for 25 years.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:10 pm

I had a c64 myself.. (and still have it with loads of games)
Only Dizzy game i had for it was Spellbound so it was the only one i played in full colour as kid, Has my favorite Dizzy tune!!!

I found the original too hard so i didn't play it often (usually settled with Magicland or Fast food and Kwick snak) The other thing that made Dizzy 1 stand out was the lack of dialog. You have to guess were the puzzles were, there was no "the ground seems soft" lol

SALEHMARLEY
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SALEHMARLEY » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 pm

I also loved the green screen for my CPC464...I loved the Dizzy series and always will, but second to Dizzy at the time was the above game...Spellbound and its sequels (i believe) Storm Bringer and Knight Time. These along with Dizzy, will always bring the nostalgia of green screens :umm:

As a matter of fact, it was actually this Spellbound that led me to this Website!!!!!

Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Post by Stephen Parry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:58 am

I've heard of that game, but it was one of those that I never managed to get my hands on.

I would say platform games are my favourite types of games, certainly they were on the Amstrad.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I also used to play Rocky Horror on the Amstrad.
That was an odd game, your charicyer used to run around naked because someone ahd stolen your cloths..lol

They used to make Games based on pretty much everything!!

Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Post by Stephen Parry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:24 pm

The strangest game I ever played was Dungeons, Amethysts, Alchemists 'n' Everything. It was released in 1987 and you couldn't buy it unless you were 16 or over.

A text game, it was quite odd, but a lot of fun. It's probably tame by today's standards, there were double entendres in the game that weren't as shocking as the age rating may have led people to believe.

Definitely a unique game!

SALEHMARLEY
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SALEHMARLEY » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Meph wrote:I also used to play Rocky Horror on the Amstrad.
That was an odd game, your charicyer used to run around naked because someone ahd stolen your cloths..lol

They used to make Games based on pretty much everything!!
How funny was Rocky Horror.....motorcycles, clothes thieves and a rocket on stage if I remember correctly!!!!? Jesus man, that really is nostalgia for me :tup:

I just looked it up on YouTube....best graphics ever, tee hee!!!!!

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:23 pm

It got got boring after awhile, you could only carry one part of the puzzle at once. Also there was a room with a syringe flying around.. lol
It was a weird game.