A Horseshoe Magnet and a Secret cave?

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Ah, well, that's a logical place for the hole to take you. :v2_dizzy_clapping:

I was thinking of mentioning this in another topic, but an interesting feature of of the PC Dizzy Remake is how rooms that were inaccessible or mere dead ends were turned into secret rooms. That box you fell into was given an opening on the bottom so Dizzy could jump into it and read the scrolls. (As the smooth scrolling means there's no screen delineation, the scrolls were made into items Dizzy has to stand on for their text to appear.) There was a saw item added to the dungeon of Zaks' castle that is to be used on the bridge to the oil can to make a piece of it float back up and take you to a couple of secret rooms.

One of those rooms, straight up from the bridge, is just an empty screen-sized hole on the map, so I take it there was nothing there in the original game because the remake's room is only there to provide a coin. Then there's another area you can reach by jumping to the right from that new floating platform. I saw this area was pointed out in other topics, a place where you can see a bat and an extra life above you in the oil can room (though in the remake, I noticed the bat from above in the Crazy Labyrinth instead). From the map of the original, it looks as if you were supposed to remove the rocks beside the hard hat somehow and jump across the bridge while it's still in the higher position. Has anyone ever tried using items to break those rocks, like with the pick or the magnet or anything? Actually, if you could jump onto the raised bridge, you could jump up and see if that room is truly empty...

Dizzy9
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Dizzy9 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:41 pm

It's empty.
Well,you can grab an extra life,but you also can exit to the left...
Well,wait a second
**Opening and hacking a ROM image**
Ok,here's another GIF for ya:

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Haha, nice work! I once did some position hacking on the NES version of Treasure Island Dizzy and got similar results, falling through blank screen after blank screen. One cool secret I found doing that was a screen with just a few random objects on it, including the unused school-of-fish enemy.

So, I guess that area with the bat and egg must have been some kind of beta version bonus that either wasn't finished or wasn't completely removed. I notice from your gif that some blank screens award points, while others don't. What's up with that?

Dizzy9
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Dizzy9 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 pm

One cool secret I found doing that was a screen with just a few random objects on it, including the unused school-of-fish enemy.

You mean this screen?:
That's interesting...Maybe in my freetime I will look for enemy data-maybe there's something more.. :v2_dizzy_happy:
I notice from your gif that some blank screens award points, while others don't. What's up with that?

Hmm..I never noticed it...
But i guess it have same map loading system like I made for my game.
How i should explain it...There's no one big map,like in Dizzy Age games.
Every map is independent,it's only pointing to the next map that should be loaded...

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

The Prophecy Is True!

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 pm

|
+___ Hi, everybody.
|
+___ So the prophecy is true! It is possible to fit through the hole to the left of the skeleton in the haunted forest!
|
Hole.gif
Made the hole to the left of the skeleton.
Hole.gif (128.88 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

|
+___ I have just played "Dizzy Holding", as I was calling it when I was a teenager because I thought that "The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure" was just a description on the start screen. I have played the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48 KB original version without any cheats. I have used the Spectaculator emulator and I have saved, oh, well, only 274 times.
|
+___ My goal was to get the highest possible score and I challenge you to beat me. I have reached 91,600 points.
|
+___ Without any cheats, I have reached the point in the game where you just have to feed the full potion to Zaks. Then, I have gathered all of the remaining things on the right side of the hole in the haunted forest and dropped them on the skeleton. That made that hole to appear. Unfortunately, indeed there is no secret room, but at least it is possible to fall through it. After you fall, the game is blocked. You cannot commit suicide. The scroll with the text is also scrambled.
|
Secret.gif
So-called secret room.
Secret.gif (119.91 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

|
+___ As you cannot get out of the hole with the skeleton, just make sure that you no longer need anything from the left side of the game, that is, from the left of the hole. Then, start dropping the things after you have come from the right side of the screen with the hole. This way, after the gap is made, you can kill yourself by falling on the skeleton and you are always revived on the right side of the hole, so you can complete the game. Even though I have died this way a number of times, I still have completed the game with more than six lives, as you can see in this screenshot.
|
Congratulations_91600.gif
End screen with the high score.
Congratulations_91600.gif (143 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

|
+___ Whatever I have tried, I have not been able to use the HorseShoe Magnet. It did not do anything in the Crazy Labyrinth. Either by holding it or by placing it near the grates, it did not have any effect. So you can drop it at the end, without having used it.
|
+___ The only thing that I wished I could also drop is the dry-ice can. Unfortunately, it is not possible to hold it while walking through the lava or the water or whatever that fluid is. Once you drop it near the fluid, it disappears.
|
+___ I have also tested the breaking of the rocks in the screen on the right of "The Haunted Chimney" with "A Rusty Old Pick". Unfortunately, it does not work. If it did, it would have unveiled another possible route to "The Secret Cave" where that unreachable bat and that unreachable extra life reside.
|
+___ So, after thirty years since "Dizzy Holding" was created, I challenge you to beat my high score of 91,600 points.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Please find the Comprehensive List of Dizzy Games at the following Uniform Resource Locator:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_(series)#Fan_created_games

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Re: A Horseshoe Magnet and a Secret cave?

Postby Adz.M » Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Congratulations. :v2_dizzy_clapping:

I am sorry to nitpick, but the game is not called "Dizzy Holding", It's just called "Dizzy" or "Dizzy - The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure". :laugh:

The "Holding" text was only there for whenever Dizzy picked up any items in the game.
Although I never understood why the Oliver's made the item text in dark blue - It was almost difficult to read on a normal TV screen.

I have finished the game dozens of times but I never thought of looking at my final score, maybe something I should consider down the line. :say_yes:

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Adz.M wrote:I am sorry to nitpick, but the game is not called "Dizzy Holding", It's just called "Dizzy" or "Dizzy - The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure". :laugh:

|
+___ Hi, Adz.M.
|
+___ Of course, I knew it was never called as "Dizzy Holding". I was just fooling around. I shall remove the so-called "title" from the list, however. Maybe Philip Oliver and Andrew Oliver do not get the taste of the pun.
|
+___ It is actually the first time that I feel that I am playing the game. I remember twenty-five years ago when I have taped it. Those were the times when they were selling those big black boxes called as "V.C.R."'s ("Video-Cassette Recorders"). I managed to fill one tape with three hours full of "Dizzy I", "II", "III.V" and "IV".
+
|___ How on Earth was I playing without saving the current state of the game? Of course, I had POKE's with infinite lives and maybe even other cheats. But my main goal was to finish them as fast as possible. I remember that "Dizzy I" took around one hour and a quarter to finish.
|
+___ Because of the infinite lives, I think that I never used the helping items. Now, to my utter surprise and delight, I have discovered them by chance, so I have been on a real killing spree, attempting to finish out every bird, every spider, every drop, every stalactite and every bat. Have I missed anything? Oh, yes, I have. I have missed two spiders that are unreachable and also one unreachable bat. If anybody knows how to get them, just let me know.
|
+___ What I have noticed on this forum is that old Johnnies like me refer to the old little machine as the "Sinclair Research Limited ZX Spectrum", while the younger people refer to it as "Speccy", the name of one of its emulators. Maybe they have never had the chance to see the real machine. This is so sad. It must be very confusing to wake up in a world already endowed with Quad-Core Intel Pentium processors, lots of GigaBytes of memory and 64-bit processing. There is no more fun in this complicated world.
|
+___ Anyway, there are still a few days left to go and we shall be celebrating Dizzy's thirtieth anniversary. Let us celebrate him by giving him our best. I hope that I shall hear that someone is able to beat even the score of 100,000 points.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Please find the Comprehensive List of Dizzy Games at the following Uniform Resource Locator:"

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby frogandhat » Sat May 13, 2017 6:27 am

Dizzy19 wrote:|
+___ What I have noticed on this forum is that old Johnnies like me refer to the old little machine as the "Sinclair Research Limited ZX Spectrum", while the younger people refer to it as "Speccy", the name of one of its emulators.

I have always called it a Speccy, so I guess I must be a youngster :v2_dizzy_biggrin: And I got my first Speccy in 1983, about a week before Sinclair Research dropped the price of the 48K model from £175 to £125. So the name Speccy was in use commonly in the 80's as a term of endearment for the little machine, long before emulators, so the emulator programmers have obviously borrowed this nickname for their software.

Anyway, that's a bit off the main topic, so to revert to Dizzy (1), congratulations on the score and experimentation!

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:59 am

frogandhat wrote:Anyway, that's a bit off the main topic, so to revert to Dizzy (1), congratulations on the score and experimentation!

|
+___ Hi, FrogAndHat.
|
+___ Thank you for your encouragements.
|
+___ I am happy to see that there are also older people in this community. Can you imagine that these days children are born with Tablet Personal Computers in their hands that are executing the "iOS" operating system? With a "Sinclair ZX Spectrum" emulator for "iOS", they could go on playing "Dizzy" games during their trips down the tube for the rest of all of their lives. But it still does not have that flavor of loading an annoying screeching tape for five minutes.
|
+___ I still have one more thing to test. Maybe the HorseShoe Magnet could be used in order to enter the secret room that is two rooms to the right of "The Haunted Chimney", somehow, so the prophecy could indeed be true. Killing another bat would even increase the score. Also, jumping above that fallen bridge through that opening in the ceiling could reveal another secret cave. Or nothing.
|
+___ And the update. I have tested the HorseShoe Magnet in "The Secret Caves" and apparently it does not activate anything there. Also, it does not do anything in the room to the left of "The Secret Caves".
|
+___ Let us place a bounty. Whoever finds the use of the HorseShoe Magnet and the secret caves gets the title of "Philosophiae Doctor" ("Doctor of Philosophy") in the "Dizzy" Science.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Sat May 13, 2017 10:34 pm

It could just be that the Magnet was never intended for anyway... but does anyone remember if any of the other Dizzy games had unused objects? Nothing comes to mind.

I guess it's possible the Magnets use was never coded in, if that's the case i wonder where it was always intended to be used.

On a side note i only call it a Speccy because that's what i've picked up other people saying, in the 80s i used an Amstrad and C64. Never used a real Spectrum.