A Horseshoe Magnet and a Secret cave?

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Re: A Horseshoe Magnet and a Secret cave?

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Meph wrote:but does anyone remember if any of the other Dizzy games had unused objects?

On a side note i only call it a Speccy because that's what i've picked up other people saying, in the 80s i used an Amstrad and C64. Never used a real Spectrum.

|
+___ Hi, Meph.
|
+___ Of course, there are plenty unused objects in the Dizzy games. One notable example is the hole in the bag that you get in Dizzy III: "Fantasy World Dizzy". Its only use is that once you pick it, all of your items fall through your bag. I think that in the same game there is a bottle of whiskey that you find too tempting to resist and you just drink it, without even getting drunk.
|
+___ There are other objects in other Dizzy games that are simply not used at all. For instance, in Dizzy II: "Treasure Island Dizzy (Magic Island Dizzy)", there are a few unusable objects. One of them is the "Sinclair Abuser Mag[azine]".
|
+___ I was curious why do they call it "ZX" and apparently the history goes like this. Now we have to thank the Wikipedia contributors for bearing "the pangs of despised love", as Hamlet was once saying, that is spreading from their administrators.
|
+___ Apparently, they called it initially ZX80 because of the Zilog 80 Central Processing Unit with an added "mystery" ingredient. Then, they called it ZX81 because that was the year of 1981. Then, instead of upgrading to the ZX82 title, they called it ZX Spectrum because it finally had eight colors multiplied by two levels of brightness. That was the era of the brand new colors, as Amstrad was also called as Colour Personal Computer. Apparently, Atari was called as Sixteen-Thirty-two because of its bus architecture.
|
+___ Wikipedia states that "The Spectrum is affectionately known as the Speccy by elements of its fan following", whatever that means, as English appears to be a wide range of languages.
|
+___ In România we were calling it "Home Computer-1985" ("HC-85") and most of us have learned programming on it.
|
+___ To come back to the topic of the thread, during my tests, I have found out two interesting bug-features in "Dizzy Holding", oh, pardon me, I meant Dizzy I: "The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure". After you feed the full potion to the Rakshas, to the monster, to the evil wizard Zaks, you can still run as fast as you can, "Anywhere Out of the World", as Charles Baudelaire once memorably said. I could not really get out of the Dizzy fantasy world, but I reached "The Hermit's Hut".
|
+___ Also, although the game is over, after feeding the monster you can still die. Although he completely melts away, if you attempt to go to the right passing through his spot, you are blown to pieces.
|
+___ I guess that the best way to solve this remaining puzzle is to get one very determined Reverse Engineer who is willing to take every bit of the Zilog Z80 machine code of the game and to see what it does. There might be a way of painting a room without copying it or expanding it from another memory location. Therefore, the secret caves might never be found through a tool that extracts screens and that attempts to produce game maps.
|
+___ I think that this game is truly memorable, since almost thirty years have passed since it has been published and we are still talking about it.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,
"United_D.M.!_Software for the Future".

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Rindex » Sun May 14, 2017 4:15 pm

1. The horseshoe magnet isn't used.
2. You want to look through screens to see that there are no secret rooms there? Press in a game the key "P" (pause), and dial NOOTRAC4571. Then it is possible to glance over screens the Z, X, K, M, SPACE keys.

Works for the game ZX-Spectrum.

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Rindex wrote:2. You want to look through screens to see that there are no secret rooms there? Press in a game the key "P" (pause), and dial NOOTRAC4571. Then it is possible to glance over screens the Z, X, K, M, SPACE keys.

|
+___ Hi, Rindex.
|
+___ Indeed, it is enough, after typing the magic character string "NOOTRAC4571" to cycle through the vector of screens only by repeatedly pressing the "X" key.
|
+___ However - only to give a chance to the prophecy to be fulfilled - there is a possibility that a screen might be drawn otherwise and not through mere copying or expanding from the vector of screens. If a second possibility of drawing screens exists, then it might be possible to find both a usage for the HorseShoe Magnet and the locations of any secret caves.
|
+___ If I am still not clear, then think of the memorable game "The Hobbit". The game did not have a vector of screens. It was painting each screen in a very slow, but effective way. If the secret caves are painted this way, then we have a chance that the prophecy might be true.
|
+___ I have just seen the movie "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks, directed by Steven Spielberg. We might have been similarly cycling ourselves in the fantasy world of this game, for the last almost thirty years.
|
+___ There are lots of things to be learned this way, though.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Rindex » Sun May 14, 2017 5:05 pm

There are no secret caves there, it is possible not to look for. And here in Dizzy 3.5+4 (DizzyAGE remake) there are new locations. Both in Dizzy 3.5 and in Dizzy 4. But chtoa to get to them it is necessary to begin to play with 3.5

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Rindex wrote:There are no secret caves there, it is possible not to look for.

|
+___ You might be right, Rindex, but I think that it takes more than a cheat or a game map or a tool that extracts screens and produces game maps in order to convince me.
|
+___ In order to mathematically prove that there is nothing hidden in the game, one should completely reverse-engineer the game and produce the mnemonics of the Zilog Z80 assembly source code of the whole game. This way, we could completely identify all of the routines that are used in the game.
|
+___ By the way, you have just proven to me that there was a hidden routine that I was not aware of - the magic character string "NOOTRAC4571". I knew that there was such a thing in Dizzy II - "Treasure Island Dizzy (Magic Island Dizzy)", but I was not aware of such a routine being present in the first game.
|
+___ Who knows, maybe I shall start again studying the Zilog Z80 Central Processing Unit. I remember one funny mnemonic name: "DJNZ" ("Decrement the register B and Jump if Not Zero").
|
+___ By throwing a quick glance on the Internet, it seems that - surprisingly - there are people out there that are still interested in this topic:
|
+___ https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.co ... m-the-8080
|
+___ Well, the surprise might not be that great since somebody has just released a remake for ZX Spectrum of the game "Dizzy VII: Crystal Kingdom Dizzy".
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Sun May 14, 2017 5:26 pm

I remember the Sinclair mag in TID, but that' the only item i can recall not having a use. The bottle of whisky and hole in the bag were still usable.

Yes the Z comes from Zilog something i only learnt a few months ago, Not sure where to X came from.

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Meph wrote:but that' the only item i can recall not having a use.

|
+___ There were others also, Meph. I think that "Dizzy IV: Magicland Dizzy (Wonderland Dizzy)" starts with a dagger in the first screen, placed on the monolith, that you keep on carrying around until you finish the game without using it.
|
+___ Again, the fact that nobody has found a usage to an object does not necessarily mean that the usage does not exist, for sure. It just means that nobody has found it, yet.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Sun May 14, 2017 5:50 pm

The dagger in Magicland was used to cut a Leaf and goat's rope.

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Meph wrote:The dagger in Magicland was used to cut a Leaf and goat's rope.

|
+____Right. I have mistaken the game. It is "The Sharp Dagger" in Dizzy V: "Spellbound Dizzy", not in Dizzy IV: "Magicland Dizzy".
|
+____Here is another list, for the delight of all of the Dizzy fans who are out there, wondering what should they do with certain items.
|
+____There is this guy out there on the Internet, Lanzz. You probably know him. He writes very solid walkthroughs. I have compiled the following list of useless items for the first six Dizzy games.
|
+____The Comprehensive List of Useless Items inside the Dizzy Games
|
+____Game______#_Item Name_____________________Purpose
|
+____Dizzy I____29_A Horseshoe Magnet_____________Unknown
|
+____Dizzy II____4_A Tube of Toothpaste____________Unknown
|
+____Dizzy II___32_Sinclair Abuser Magazine_________This guy is sooo good.
+______________________________________________He managed to find a use
+______________________________________________for the Sinclair Abuser Magazine.
+______________________________________________Go right once more (through the lower path)
+______________________________________________and pick up Sinclair Abuser Magazine
+______________________________________________(a reference to the then bitter rivalry between
+______________________________________________Spectrum and Commodore owners).
+______________________________________________Make your way back at the start location
+______________________________________________and drop the Magazine on top of the small pebble
+______________________________________________in the water there for extra scores.
|
+____Dizzy III___7_A Bottle of Whiskey_____________This item is absolutely useless.
+______________________________________________If you pick this item, Dizzy will drink it
+______________________________________________when you try to drop it.
+______________________________________________It just makes Dizzy drunk
+______________________________________________and he starts walking in all directions.
|
+____Dizzy III___8_An Empty Bottle________________After Dizzy drinks the whiskey,
+______________________________________________he will leave an Empty Bottle.
+______________________________________________Leave this item because it is useless.
|
+____Dizzy III__22_A Large Round Hole_____________You can find a Large Round Hole
+______________________________________________at the same screen. If you pick it,
+______________________________________________you'll get a hole in your bag
+______________________________________________and everything you carry will drop out.
+______________________________________________Leave this item, because it is useless.
|
+____Dizzy IV___2_Empty Milk Bottle_______________Useless
|
+____Dizzy IV___3_A Bag of Rubbish________________Useless
|
+____Dizzy V___20_Sharp Dagger___________________Unknown
|
+____Dizzy VI___10_Some Fluffleade________________Joke Item
|
+____Dizzy VI___18_A Bottle of Potion_______________Joke Item
|
+____Dizzy VI___22_A Magic Carpet_________________Joke Item
|
+____Dizzy VI___26_Some Tasty Bread_______________Joke Item
|
+____Dizzy VII might not have any useless items.
|
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Rindex » Sun May 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Dizzy19, such company cheats is almost in all parts.

Dizzy 1. Press in a game the key "P" (pause), and dial NOOTRAC4571. Then it is possible to glance over screens the Z, X, K, M, SPACE keys.
Dizzy 2. In the menu at the same time to press A+O+P+ENTER. In the game to press "C". Scrolling by Z, X, K, M, SPACE screens.
Dizzy 3. In the menu at the same time to press P+A+D+W+F+SPACE. In the game to press "C". Scrolling by Z, X, K, M, SPACE screens.
Dizzy 4. No cheats.
Dizzy 5. In the menu to dial IWANTANOMLETTE. In the game to press "C".
Dizzy 6. In the menu to dial IAMSTUARTSIDLEY. In the game to press "C". Scrolling by Z, X, K, M, SPACE screens.
Dizzy 7. In the menu at the same time to press T+U+R+B+O. The truth at me something hasn't earned.