Dizzy 1: `Talkthrough`

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby EgoTrip » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Scene 43: How to mend a broken heart...
By giving her one, apparently.

:v2_dizzy_lol:

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby SnTrooper » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:42 pm

DCT wrote:I the most illogical puzzle in the game the statue of the broken-hearted woman has lost her broken heart and it needs returning to her so she'll let you into the tomb of her lover. It seems a broken-hearted guardian is more generous than a heartless guardian.
Since it is a statue I would think your not giving it to her but using it on it. Maybe putting it into a heart shaped slot on the statue that then opens the grave. Like a key. It just doesn't explain it since this game doesn't have narration like the later Dizzy games do. Why it is a broken heart instead of a mended heart though is strange.

Once in the tomb we have access to an extra life and some dry bones, that's that thing on the floor that looks a bit like a dead turtle, there's another one in the waiting room and yet another where the rusty bolt cutters were used and, at this stage it might be worth testing the horseshoe magnet on these too given that they're rather conspicuous.
I'm pretty sure those are piles of chains not bones. At least the one near where the bolt cutters is used certainly is. Magnet does nothing to any of them.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: EgoTrip / Re: SnTrooper

Postby DCT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Yes, EgoTrip I was aware of the pun.

As mentioned it doesn't make sense. The "narration" here is the quote from the poem that gives the clue to what you have to do. So a mended heart would be meaningless. It's just that the mechanism you describe makes no sense in the world of the story; why would anyone want to get into Mad Carew's grave and why would it be accessible?

I'm aware those aren't bones, I just describe them as such because there's a enemy from Super Mario Bros. 3 that looks very like them in isn't 'asleep' form. It's a joke. Not sure they're chains though. Whatever they are the one(s) where you need to use the bolt cutters must secure the part you cut, which is a chain, to something or the raft wouldn't be secured either.

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby EgoTrip » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:57 am

Did you get stuck?

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: EgoTrip

Postby DCT » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Partly, I know where to go but I've been busy and I struggling find the energy to interrupt what I've been doing and write about a dead man's grave. Where very little happens. I'm kind of on the home stretch now and am sort of milking it.

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby SnTrooper » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:43 pm

DCT wrote:Where very little happens.
Other than the inexplicable whack you in the face floor.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: SnTrooper

Postby DCT » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:25 pm

I don't think it's quite a floor, well I suppose it kind of is but you can't stand on it, but that bit will be mentioned.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 44: The Tomb Of Mad Carew

Postby DCT » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:25 pm

The Oliver Twins seem to have decided that Mad Carew, the soldier from the poem they're working off, got an elaborate two level chamber as a grave. And there's "A Sharp Diamond" next to it.

Logically, this should be the emerald he acquired and was killed over (the poem does not record the eye being taken back) leaving the diamond to be found in the diamond mine, where the key is or the purse of gold. That would make much more sense.

There's also a stalactite that wants dispatching and what seems to be the counter cog to the portcullis of the castle, nice forward think there. It includes a rope that looks very cutable but, alas, Dizzy has nothing to cut it with. Someone, we imagine Zaks, has tortured another person to death down here. A rather strange use of someone's grave.

And there's that automatic trapdoor "trap" being the operative expressive. Except the trap doesn't seem to work it springs open to block Dizzy's progress instead of Dizzy's return with is what you'd expect it might do and thus uses memory and makes you wonder why the room wasn't designed differently.

There's not even need to try the magnet here, even if it could attract the trapdoor back to its original position, where would you stand to position it?

Maybe it might be worth checking the pick on the pile rubble blocking Dizzy's path here, although it looks rather big to give way to that. If that actually worked at least the magnet could be checked.

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby SnTrooper » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:26 am

I used the magnet and the pick and a ton of other items on the trapdoor and surrounding area when I originally played the game. Figured there had to be a way past it but I was wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the diamond and the emerald eye were originally switched but because the eye is used in the cemetery and the diamond in the mountain they swapped them to make the game more complex (to make it so you had to carry them farther).

NOOTRAC reveals that the word box is solid. If you go to the right past the door you enter a blank screen and fall onto the big tree. Left past the skeleton you fall onto the mine.

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby EgoTrip » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:36 am

I don't think its a waste of memory at all. It adds to the mystery and illusion of the world being bigger than what is in memory. It would be a bit boring if the tomb was simply blocked off from all sides. It's touches like these that polish the game and set it above average.