Dizzy 1: `Talkthrough`

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby EgoTrip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:09 pm

There is nothing past that screen. I have tried it with NOOTRAC (well, with TROWBRIDGE on the CPC, which does the same thing) and Dizzy just keeps falling until he lands on another part of the map, depending on the angle he falls at. The wall between himself and the bat/life is there to prevent this. Its the end of the world for Dizzy.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: EgoTrip

Postby DCT » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:55 pm

As I keep saying I don't necessarily believe that the NOOTRAC trick reveals anything unless you solve the relevant puzzles and again I'm still imagining you have actually tested what I suggested.

For example the area we are currently discussing is the screen where Dizzy needs to jump to get the ceiling above him to drop to become floor ahead of him to proceed. Now, presumably, if you use the NOOTRAC cheat (TROWBRIDGE sounds weird) before you jump the platform is up, if you do it afterwards the platform is down.

Under the same logic (though I know very little of the mechanics of NOOTRAC) if you do it before you can park Dizzy on the platform that would fall and then contiune to the right (or left also) into the Secrte Caves. Unless, of course, you're saying you just drop through the bar to the platform below. Otherwise, I can't see anything stopping you and don't know which wall you're refering too, there's no wall on the Spectrum map that I can see.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 45: The slow boat to nowhere.

Postby DCT » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

Having got the sharp diamond we can return to that area on the crystal mountain with a strange looking floor that turns out to be glass and cut it, apparently with relative ease, so it will shatter and not harm Dizzy and drop onto the (suddenly moving) platform below.

Dizzy can then proceed to the left and find... fantastic! an impassable stretch of water and a boat tethered to the wall. This has got to be the most infuriating locations in the game unless there's a particular way you're meant to play it. You solve a puzzle to reach a seeming inaccessible area only to find yourself faced with another seeming inaccessible area. And obviously you won't have the item with you you need to get in their because in order to get to this point you've hard to traipse all the way from the graveyard with a sodding diamond.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 46: The Hidden Passage

Postby DCT » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:22 pm

But fortunately not hidden in the same sense as the secret caves are secret or we'd never find it. Mind you that might not be such a probably because although it obviously should make the game unfinishable because of the dry ice oversight it doesn't and Dizzy doesn't really need to come here at all. This is the scene that you find under the statue of the Yellow god in the graveyard that you can reach when you return it's eye that Mad Carew removed, it's a strange twist of fate that he's buried just next door.

Not unlike the cave we've just struggled with we immediately get down there and find our way blocked this time by a rock build up. So we immediately need to leave and go get the pick from wherever we left it in order to proceed. Sometimes I think this whole area is meant to be this game's main red herring given how both the dry ice and the diamond are in the near vicinity of where you need them to solve the puzzle that we've come all the way here to solve. This was a very strange arrangement on the part of the programmers.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 47: A stab in the dark

Postby DCT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Proceeding to the left we find one of the last logically placed items in the age. Under the statue of the yellow god is "A Jewelled Dagger" which is presumably of the sort (if not the same) used by the followers of the idol to slay Mad Carew. If you want to remember where the dagger is just remember the poem.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 48: Cutting it

Postby DCT » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:03 pm

Having got the dagger we can unmoor the boat and travel with it (as log as we don't let it move from under us) into the next screen a large room full of ice stalactites and water drops and thus a big clearance job. There's nothing else here and the screen can be exited to the left.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 49: Hanging around

Postby DCT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Oh, this had better be worth it. Having trekked all over the map to get down here with now passed into our second screen with nothing but stalactites hanging from the ceiling waiting to crack Dizzy's shell.

As a consolation prize there's an extra life if you want it but other than that the only thing to do is to take a leap of faith through a hole in the floor.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 50: Dropping in

Postby DCT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:11 pm

At last, upon dropping through the floor Dizzy lands on a elevator platform from which he can leap to the left and claim not only another extra life (someone must think this area is particularly dangerous) but "A Protective Amulet".
If he then proceeds to the right he can find the same screen where he discovered the leprechauns wig. Of cause he can't get across but i suppose this is yet another place the dry ice could have been used to shorten the game.

As it is Dizzy has to make his way back where he came from. I wonder how protective that amulet is... :v2_dizzy_wink2:

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Scene 39 (Scene 50a) Kathmandon't becomes Kathmandu

Postby DCT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Having obtained protection we can return to Zaks and eliminate all the energy bolts he is throwing at Dizzy. Apparently Zaks is a very poor wizard and is unable to replace them.

He's also a very large wizard larger than he is in any other Dizzy game it seems and several time larger than Dizzy. Which rather begs the question of why doesn't he just step on him?

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby EgoTrip » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Isn't he the same size in Magicland Dizzy? In fact it's the same sprite in both games on the 8-bit systems, just mirrored.

As for the bolts, there are two reasons they are likely as they are. One, the fact you can only carry one item at a time would make it impossible to smash the full flask if the bolts kept regenerating; two the old memory saving problem as it just uses existing enemy code.