LETS PLAY: DIZZY - THE ULTIMATE CARTOON ADVENTURE

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:30 pm

To see how the C64 version differs you are best off looking on youtube. Theres loads of videos of each game on each platform. Dizzy is slightly fatter and doesn't move in quite the same way as on the CPC and Spectrum. Its nothing major, just subtle but enough for me at least to feel uncomfortable about. Also I am not a fan of SID sounds (even if it is a technically superior chip to the AY), yeah its better than 48k beeper tho.

As for the emulators, most should be runnable from a USB drive or SD card, so you don't need to install them on the host PC. Emulators play the exact same games as on the original hardware, they are usually converted to tap or dsk files to store on computer. Also this is another reason why a CPC emulator is a good option, because the Dizzy games are still available to download unlike for the Spectrum.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Vega, spend the money on a real spectrum instead. Yeah its old technology and needs additional hardware to work but its going to be the real deal, not some cut down gimmick.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Hate emulators, they're so buggy and not only end of crashing finding any 'safe' games or 'safe' web sties to get them from is pretty none existent. Lost count how many dangerous bugs my computer has picked up from using/downloading emulators.

The Vega is awesome, no load time, no dodgy emulators or web sites, plenty of games with out having to hunt them down yourself, importing your own specy game, save opinion. portable, more practical then 30+ year old piece of technology, plus it'll plugs into my big screen tv, and it cheap, and the money goes to a worth cause. Fantastic piece of kit.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

@DCT

Post by frogandhat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:25 pm

Dizzy predates the Amiga by a couple of years I am afraid!

An emulator is a program that runs on your PC and make is emulate the original machine, so on a perfect emulator it is exactly like using the real machine. Getting hold of an original Spectrum shouldnt be too hard, plenty were sold! But personally I prefer the emulation route to the real hardware if for no other reason than you get instant loading games instead of having to wait 5 minutes for the tape to load. In fact, that is probably going to be the harder part of the 'original machine' route, finding tapes that still load after all these years! I have a Speccy and my copy of Dizzy in my loft, but whether either still work, who knows?

As far as dodgy emulators and roms are concerned, then for the Spectrum World of Spectrum seems a safe website. But there are obviously a lot of games for the Speccy and other machines where the game is not legally available, and therefore you take your life in your hands a bit if you try to download pirated material.

Meph - I agree with all the plus points of the Vega, but (most of us) already have a PC and thanks to WOS Speccy emulators and games are available safely and for free, so for me it is an unnecessary piece of kit and expense.

EgoTrip - yes, agreed the Speccy BEEPer was it's worst feature, and in my opinion the only major negative in comparison to its rivals. Yes, you got colour clash, but back in those days every bit and byte was important, and if you look at machines that had more colours on screen, they generally had a lower resolution (the amount of screen memory would be fixed, so if you wanted more colours, then you had to have fewer pixels, and vice-versa)
Insert signature here

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: EgoTrip / Re: Meph / Re: frogandhat

Post by DCT » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 pm

EgoTrip wrote:To see how the C64 version differs you are best off looking on youtube. Theres loads of videos of each game on each platform. Dizzy is slightly fatter and doesn't move in quite the same way as on the CPC and Spectrum. Its nothing major, just subtle but enough for me at least to feel uncomfortable about. Also I am not a fan of SID sounds (even if it is a technically superior chip to the AY), yeah its better than 48k beeper tho.

As for the emulators, most should be runnable from a USB drive or SD card, so you don't need to install them on the host PC. Emulators play the exact same games as on the original hardware, they are usually converted to tap or dsk files to store on computer. Also this is another reason why a CPC emulator is a good option, because the Dizzy games are still available to download unlike for the Spectrum.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Vega, spend the money on a real spectrum instead. Yeah its old technology and needs additional hardware to work but its going to be the real deal, not some cut down gimmick.
All this talk about emulators is making me confused and worried. I couldn't find any complete Dizzy stuff on Youtube from the C64 which limited by experience somewhat. Speaking of some I also much prefer the Amstad soundtrack.
Meph wrote:Hate emulators, they're so buggy and not only end of crashing finding any 'safe' games or 'safe' web sties to get them from is pretty none existent. Lost count how many dangerous bugs my computer has picked up from using/downloading emulators.

The Vega is awesome, no load time, no dodgy emulators or web sites, plenty of games with out having to hunt them down yourself, importing your own specy game, save opinion. portable, more practical then 30+ year old piece of technology, plus it'll plugs into my big screen tv, and it cheap, and the money goes to a worth cause. Fantastic piece of kit.
But are any of those games Dizzy?
frogandhat wrote:Dizzy predates the Amiga by a couple of years I am afraid!

An emulator is a program that runs on your PC and make is emulate the original machine, so on a perfect emulator it is exactly like using the real machine. Getting hold of an original Spectrum shouldnt be too hard, plenty were sold! But personally I prefer the emulation route to the real hardware if for no other reason than you get instant loading games instead of having to wait 5 minutes for the tape to load. In fact, that is probably going to be the harder part of the 'original machine' route, finding tapes that still load after all these years! I have a Speccy and my copy of Dizzy in my loft, but whether either still work, who knows?

As far as dodgy emulators and roms are concerned, then for the Spectrum World of Spectrum seems a safe website. But there are obviously a lot of games for the Speccy and other machines where the game is not legally available, and therefore you take your life in your hands a bit if you try to download pirated material.

Meph - I agree with all the plus points of the Vega, but (most of us) already have a PC and thanks to WOS Speccy emulators and games are available safely and for free, so for me it is an unnecessary piece of kit and expense.

EgoTrip - yes, agreed the Speccy BEEPer was it's worst feature, and in my opinion the only major negative in comparison to its rivals. Yes, you got colour clash, but back in those days every bit and byte was important, and if you look at machines that had more colours on screen, they generally had a lower resolution (the amount of screen memory would be fixed, so if you wanted more colours, then you had to have fewer pixels, and vice-versa)
Really I understood Dizzy just wasn't made for the Amiga I know both Fast Food Dizzy and Treasure Island Dizzy which followed were, I had Fast Food Dizzy and thought I had TID but now can't find it.

I must say this topic is very exciting even if the emulator discussion is making me at least as wary.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:52 pm

"But are any of those games Dizzy?"

No idea, yet. This will all be announced very soon.
I'd guess you'll get TID and that's the one Codemasters tend to pimp out and did offer it as free pc download a few years ago. Hopefully all the Dizzy games are approved.

I don't believe there is such a think as a safe emulator, a safe emulator web site and a safe emulator roms. I've tried plenty of the years and have been infected with all sorts of Internet transmitted disease , even from those apparent 'safe' ones. The sites might be ok but you have no idea what exactly you're downloading.

Certainly a risk I'm no longer willing to take.

I don't see the Vega as expensive, I think it's great value for money and piece of mind, and practical, it would cost a lot more to have bought all that back in the day, plus it's cheaper than one of those shitty xbox stations or Wees kids are buying theses days, I mean if you can afford £300+ on one of those plus the £30/40+ per game then the Vega is pocket money, and at £100 it's just under a days wages. lol Plus, having a PC is irrelevant.

Only three things I don' t like about the Vega, No keyboard, No joystick option, no two player option, YET, as far as I know, it's still in development. I guess some people are a bit snobbish about it/purists but for the rest of this it's a easy, safe and practical way to enjoy theses classic games. It's not a gimmick it's an essential.

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Here's a Let's Play for C64 Dizzy: [video=youtube;nDLHQdPlFn4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDLHQdPlFn4[/video]

You don't really need to bother with emulators and illegal roms anyway, considering most of the games have been quite faithfully (but not quite 100% in all cases) remade in DizzyAGE and can be played on PC. You can run them from a USB drive or SD card.

As for the Vega being essential and not a gimmick - I completely disagree. Unless of course all you want to do is play games on it, but there is so much more to 8-bit computers than playing games. The Vega cuts out the rest of the experience.

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Meph - Yes, it would be nice if the Dizzy games are on the Vega, but as Codemasters do not allow free distribution currently, unlike almost all the other publishers, I would guess that the makers of the Vega may prefer to install the 'free' games first for purely economical reasons.

The internet can be a dangerous place, and with a lot of emulators and ROMs inhabiting, at best, a slightly murky area of legality, these are frequently the types of places where nasties lurk. There are safe and legal emulators and ROMs out there, but as with anything else, you have to be careful.

I agree, that in comparison to games consoles today, the Vega is cheap (how many people can afford to keep paying £40 per game?), and you will undoubtedly get a lot of fun from it for a relatively small outlay, but with a PC, emulator and the WOS website, you can play a ridiculous number of Speccy games for free. In addition, there will be games that use more keys than are on the Vega that it will not play - for example a couple of my favourites, Tau Ceti and Academy.

I don't see that lack of a 2 player mode is much of an issue as there weren't a massive number of games where 2 players could play simultaneously. (But again, an emulator will allow this, and joystick use as well).

I hope I am not coming across as snobby or a purist (I wouldn't advocate emulation if I was a purist, after all!), I agree with most of what you are saying, and hope that the Vega does well. I agree that it will (hopefully) be a safe and relatively cheap way of enjoying a large amount of good quality gaming, I just don't think it is for me. And I don't think, in all honesty, you can call any games console "essential"
Insert signature here

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Ego-trip - yes, there is more to the 8 bits than gaming, but in all honesty that is what 95% of the machines were used for 95% of the time! But yes, one of the joys was being able to program your own stuff for a lot of people, which will not be emulated. But I don't think that will be too much of a loss for many people.
Insert signature here

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Not being able to code on the Vega is irrelevant, it was never designed for it. it's a games machine and the people buying it aren't too worried about being able to code, their are far better ways of doing that, so for me that's not an issue at all. It's gotten really popular and should hit retailers buy the end of the year.

My c64 had quite a lot of two player games so I just assume the Zx did the same thing.
They plan on getting every game made available but I think that's optimistic, maybe in time it will happen.

The other thing I liked about it is it will fully document and make these little games officially available to everyone without the nonsense and the fuss and the risks. Plus we don't all have smart phones and tables to take on our travels It's like the game boy.. :P

I have just had really bad luck with emulators, my last attempt was back in January and I got a mild infection, but on that occasion it was a c64 site. lol

Oh it's essential, everyone house hold needs a Spectrum. :dizzy_wink:

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:26 pm

If all you want is to play games then the Vega is for you certainly, but I still think its a bit of a waste of potential.

Does the Vega have a built-in screen?

Also I have never had any infections from emulators or games. Then again I don't really do warez and all the games I download are from reputable sources, and mostly for CPC at that. I guess you just got unlucky.