LETS PLAY: DIZZY - THE ULTIMATE CARTOON ADVENTURE

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:11 pm

You plug the Vega into your TV. I think I read they added a better graphic chip to allow more colours but I might have miss read it.

But I don't think anybody wants to buy a ZX Spectrum to learn code.

More than unlucky because it was every time I tried to use a Zx or a C64 emulator sites. (plus half the time I can never get the control to work properly) lol

I however never had any trouble using my Sega emulator or games. (Rock n roll racing still kicks ass)
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Another reason to emulate the CPC. Everything is pretty much safe and easy to use. Half of the games on the CPC are just like the Speccy anyway thanks to the ports.

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Meph wrote:You plug the Vega into your TV.
Not like a Gameboy then! :v2_dizzy_tongue:
I think I read they added a better graphic chip to allow more colours but I might have miss read it.
I am not sure how that would work? The games are coded to take into account the Spectrum colour pallet and the way that the Spectrum screen works (for the techies, the screen memory is a bitmap of the screen to give the picture, followed by the colour overlay giving each 8x8 character space two colours - the reason for the famous 'colour clash'), so how could a pre-coded game use colours that didn't exist at the time of coding? I can't see anybody re-coding their 30 year old game to take advantage of any extra colours.
everyone house hold needs a Spectrum
Agreed! I have 2! :v2_dizzy_biggrin:
I have just had really bad luck with emulators, my last attempt was back in January and I got a mild infection, but on that occasion it was a c64 site
Well what do you expect? If you are going over to the dark side, you deserve everything you get :v2_dizzy_lol: I am sure there are safe C64 emulation sites out there, but I never had one, so in all honestly they don't interest me, and in any case I still recall all the playground arguments over which was best, Spectrum (of course it was), C64 (American door stop), Amstrad (British door stop), Dragon (any colour you like as long as it's green and only want to play Hunchback) or Oric (ha ha, you are joking aren't you?)
My c64 had quite a lot of two player games so I just assume the Zx did the same thing.
Apart from you swearing again :laugh: there were a lot of 2 player games on the Spectrum as well, but back in those days the majority were not where you play simultaneously, but one after the other each having a turn. It was especially difficult having 2 players on a Spectrum as the machine itself was so small, getting 2 people at the keyboard at the same time was a challenge. Of course, that would have been easier to do on a large American door stop! :v2_dizzy_tongue2:
Insert signature here

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:33 am

At least my door stop didn't have an irritating colour clash and far superior music ;)
Talk of Game boy, a lot of those games can be played online http://www.playr.org/games I had a lot of fun playing on this last year and you can also save your progress.

It's good so see the Vega team listen to their backers, they've added extra buttons for those games that need them, and some new hardware for future upgrades.

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: Door Stop

Post by DCT » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:08 pm

This discussion is getting rather technical for me now. I'm wonder how it's possible to know so much about the Vega (as illustrated by the depth of this discussion) and so little (illustrated by the fact it's yet to be released, so no-one has played it or knows which games are on it).

I don't yet know anything about the "American Door Stop" somehow either I managed to miss that C64 playthrough that EgoTrip found, it wasn't posted at the time I was looking or I couldn't see the differences. While the colour on the Amstrad may be awful (redeemed a little by the fact Dizzy's clothes are the right colour even if he isn't) but at least I can immediately tell the difference immediately. The graphic differences between the Spectrum and the C64 seem subtler to me I can see they're there but I'm not sure I could tell the difference one map to the next all the time.

It's still seems the worst version although I don't think it fair to extend what Dizzy looks on the c64 to all games going.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:50 pm

C64 versions isn't that different to the Spectrum in my mind, the lack of colour clash and music is much improved, but wasn't keen on how Dizzy looked on the c64, plus I'm not fussed about the boarder.

The Vega is still in development, or has been until recently so it's changed over the past couple of months as they've been listening to what their backers have said. Big news coming soon I'm told. (I'm not a backer so i don't know all the details)

Anyway. didn't mean to get Let's play Dizzy so much off topic.
I hope the twins do it with all the games, even the arcade ones :P

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Improved music most definitely is a matter of opinion.

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Egotrip - I love the Spectrum, and for me, all in all, it was the best 8 bit home computer. But even I have to acknowledge that soundwise the original Spectrum was inferior to the Amstrad and C64 as they both had dedicated sound chips, whereas the Speccy had the BEEPer that could only play one note at a time with no volume control, and while it was BEEPing, it stopped the computer!
Insert signature here

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Well if you are referring to the beeper music then yeah even a wet fart is an improvement on that. But if you mean the C64 music is better than the CPC/AY Spectrum music then we will have to agree to disagree there.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:43 am

Sorry but the sound and music on Dizzy 1 on the spectrum was just awful.

We all love the spectrum but the fact is it did not have a very good sound chip.
You just have to compare the music from Dizzy one to hear the difference.

Personally I think one machine was not any better than the other, both the Spectrum and C64 were awesome both had positives and negatives, both did things better and worse then the other and some games were better on one or the other. But the c64 always just had an edge on music and a graphics overall.

I enjoyed reading this article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... mmodore-64