TID - Atari ST - Can we lose the blackness?

Drowning? Where are those hidden coins?
DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

TID - Atari ST - Can we lose the blackness?

Postby DizzyFanUK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi there - Just wondered if anyone is able to remake or edit the Atari ST version of TID, removing the annoying black screens between rooms?
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mataeus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:59 pm

When I first read the title of this post, I thought you were saying the ST version of Treasure Island Dizzy is too 'gangsta' :v2_dizzy_happy:

I've never played that version, but I know on a lot of the early Commodore titles there is a momentary black screen for a split second between each room. At the time it was blamed on the porting from the Spectrum - not that the Spectrum version was slow (it actually performed a lot better) but just that a port of something ran slower than it would have if programmed natively on the machine. You still see the same thing these days - if you play an Xbox Original title on the Xbox 360, it runs slower despite the 360 being far more powerful than the original Xbox. Maybe the ST version is an Amiga port and thus suffers from the similar issues?

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

TID - Can we lose the black frames between rooms?

Postby DizzyFanUK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks Mat,

Sorry about the title - now I read it again, I see what you mean - I couldve chosen the words better.

Anyhow, I remember those black screens between rooms on the original ST version and they still appear on the emulated version. If the original ST game was just a port from another platform, I can understand why this happens.

But its still annoying - anyone got any ideas to remove it completely?
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyUK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:42 pm

I'd say they are there for a reason. Not just something you can simply remove. Maybe it just can't display the next screen instantly or there maybe are some graphical glitches displayed if you could actually see the screen being drawn.

It would take a rewrite of the whole screen drawing routine or a lot of tweaking at the very least.