PC-DOS version?

Drowning? Where are those hidden coins?
dock
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by dock » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Anatoly wrote:Those are emulated. Just your usual spectrum snapshots 'compiled' using Warajevo ZXCOMP. This can be easily determined not by only them being identical to the zx versions in every aspect (there is absolutely no reason for them to use spectrum pallet if the port was pc specific), but also by looking at the first few bytes in the executable or a text message when you quit the program :)
Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the explanation.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:47 am

MJongo wrote:I see it mentioned that it was released on that platform on many sites, including the Oliver Twins'.
But their site also listed Fantastic Dizzy as having been released on Game Boy, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. (I hope a ROM of that surfaces someday; I'm curious as to how the game would work on a 160x144 4-color display.) Maybe a Treasure Island Dizzy for PC was produced, but for one reason or another it was never actually sold. You would expect it to look very similar to the Amiga and Atari ST versions, right? I guess those "bundled emulator" versions could be confusing matters. I believe that free give-away copy of the Commodore 64 version with bundled emulator does have its own program icon, so that could be the icon you saw, MJongo.

Another thing I thought of that could be confusing the issue is a list of telephone help lines you would see for many of CodeMasters' classic adventure games. In the introduction to Fantasy World Dizzy for PC, a number is listed for Treasure Island Dizzy's help line under the "Amiga, Atari ST, PC" heading. But of course, that may only mean that the games under that heading were released for at least one of those systems, not necessarily all three. What's more, the manual for Spellbound Dizzy seems to indicate that the original "Dizzy" was released for the Atari ST and Amiga too! But notice that the phone number for it is exactly the same as the one on the Spectrum, Amstrad, and C64 list.

Actually, the only games whose numbers differ between lists are MagicLand Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy, and Little Puff. Now, I haven't played Little Puff yet, but I know MagicLand Dizzy had a few minor challenges removed when it was updated, while Treasure Island Dizzy had a bunch more puzzles added, so I can understand why they would need to make separate recordings for different systems. Whereas Fantasy World Dizzy, Spellbound Dizzy, and Prince of the YolkFolk have the exact same solutions in 16-bit form, only with different locations for collectibles in the latter two games, and I don't think the help lines listed those anyway. So if Dizzy 1 had the same phone number for its 16-bit conversion, either it would have had the exact same solution, or the people at CodeMasters weren't sure if a conversion would be made but expected it would have the same solution and wanted to "cover their bases" in case it did come out.

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by geekgirl101 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:54 am

Bag of Magic Food wrote:But their site also listed Fantastic Dizzy as having been released on Game Boy, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.
They may have mislabelled it as Game Boy instead of Game Gear. Fantastic Dizzy in 8 fantastic shades of grey? Yucky no thanks! :P

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 am

But it said both "GameGear" and "GameBoy", take a look! They also said "Atari ST", lol.

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by geekgirl101 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 am

Hmm interesting, guess they had plans but didn't get round to it.

Edit: Discovered some info on the Gameboy version, it was finalised and approved but never released. As for the Atari version nobody else has heard of it.

enchantedgypsy25
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by enchantedgypsy25 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:07 am

for some reason i recall treasure island dizzy being in existence in DOS format but part me thinks my mind is just tricking me, i hope one day some of these "lost" versions surface but i doubt even the oliver twins know where they are

zeropolis79

Post by zeropolis79 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm

I recall seeing a strange ASCII version which was shown from above.. It was over ten years ago and I have had serious bouts of ill health so I might be mis-remembering.