The real reason this has only 1 life.

Drowning? Where are those hidden coins?
AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

The real reason this has only 1 life.

Postby AndyUK » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:02 pm

According to an interview in the December issue of retro gamer.

The real reason Dizzy 2 has one life is actually because of a problem that could occur.
Say if you dropped the snorkel underwater, you would instantly drown again if you restarted in the water.
But even if you started on the beach. You wouldn't be able to get back in the water again. The game would be impossible to finish.

So... the Olivers were running out of time and had no ideas how to fix it the lives were reduced to 1. Right at the last minute. Up until then the game had 3 lives just like dizzy 1!

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby delta » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 pm

simple, make it so you only drown after being in the water a few seconds!

:v2_dizzy_happy:

AndyC
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyC » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:39 pm

I always suspected that that was the reason why.

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyUK » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:04 am

-TF- wrote:simple, make it so you only drown after being in the water a few seconds!

:v2_dizzy_happy:

if you've dropped the snorkel out of reach you're still buggered.

STEVE 09
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby STEVE 09 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Maybe the Oliver Twins didn't have enough time to think of these ideas at the time. Having a life energy bar which would be like a timer underwater would have also been a good solution as well.
Treasure Island Dizzy is really hard with just 1 life though. The slightest mistake or mis judgement can be fatal in this game. I remember playing it years ago and getting right to the very end having found all the gold coins and crossing the river on the boat to get out of the island and the stupid Dizzy rolls went a bit too far and Dizzy fell off the boat and into the water and drowned, right at the final hurdle. As you could imagine I wasn't impressed :cry:

Crw
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Crw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

The Oliver Twins confirmed this again yesterday. Time restraints made it so they could not go back and change the way the game worked.

Invisibabe
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Invisibabe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:09 pm

I actually quite like the fact that Dizzy only has 1 life in Treasure Island. Let's face it, the game is much smaller than the original Dizzy, and other than the 1 life issue it's hardly a complicated, tricky, or taxing game.

Yes, you need quite a few goes to complete it but if there was more than 1 life it'd be a walk in the park :D

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyUK » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:40 am

yeah this game is actually really short. If it wasn't for the coins it would only take about 15 minutes to do all the puzzles. The inventory bug (moving two places at once at random) makes journeys into the water take even longer.

AndyC
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyC » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:22 pm

AndyUK wrote: If it wasn't for the coins it would only take about 15 minutes to do all the puzzles.

I've completed the game (DizzyAGE version) in about 19 minutes before now, including the coins.

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby universospectrum » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I must agree that i, too, liked the One-Life idea!

Yes, it's frustrating if you make a wrong turn, but otherwise, the game would be too easy, and the intention is to keep you busy hehehe ;)
Q: What is Dizzy's favourite movie? A: ET - the Eggstra-Terrestrial :v2_dizzy_happy: zxspectrum.com.pt